Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't feel like sorting through 148 pages of just the 2002 tech, so please be patient with me... I just installed a 350ci/330hp Crate motor in the 65 SS, and have a few questions for the most reliable source I know!

1.) One wire alternator: I understand that I only need to run a heavy gauge (8?)wire to the batery from the alternator. How is the rest of the system energized? Do I attach all the original wires to the main lug of the alternator as well? Or omit just the wire that went to the regulator? Loose the regulator now?

2.) Distributor: I read somewhere that you need a melonized gear in All crate motors and steel camshafts like the zz4. Is that true? Does the 330hp model have the steel camshaft? The lift/duration, etc, is much less, plus its hydraulic, not a hydraulic roller. What is melonized, anyway? Any suggestions for a new distributor, if I need to mess with the gear? (Existing distributor is HEI, but not sure of the reliablity,age, etc. If I need the gear, I'm going all the way. Cheaper in the long run.)

Thanks !!

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Can the alternator be set up as a 3-wire? Units like Powermaster have a plug on the side where the other wires go to. It's better to try and regulate the alternate than to let it run on it's own.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
To copy what GM says in the description of this engine.... 330 horsepower 350 HO "Technical Notes: Engine ID code is CC. Requires a counterweighted flywheel or flexplate, 10105832, 14088646, 14088650, 14088765, or 12554824. See flywheel chart. Requires torsional damper 6272221 (6.75") or 12555879 (8"). Oil dipstick located on right side. 650 cfm carburetor recommended. Chrome valve covers and timing cover included. Intake manifold, distributor, flywheel, torsional damper, water pump, and exhaust manifolds are not included. Distributor P/N 1104067 or melonized distributor gear P/N 10456413 must be used on all crate engines with steel camshafts."

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks John !

Thanks Dave !

Off to the parts store,,again! They see me more than my wife does. And I WORK with her ! I think I've replaced every part between the front emblem and the rear bumper..... :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts