Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some people are apprehensive about using a SB400 block because of heating problems. I want to add one more item of personal experience. My wife drove her 70 conv with factory air back from the Tulsa Regionals (remember how hot it was that weekend)with only the original single core radiator which came in the car when it had a 307. I have always intended to have the radiator re-cored with a 3 or 4 core, but just haven't done it yet. The 400 did not show any indication of over heating whatsoever. The ac was cold, the car ran great about 65-70 (I was following with the 56 Vette on a trailer, so that was as fast as I wanted to go) and after we got home and the radiator cooled down, I pulled the cap and the coolant was full. I have added an over flow bottle which I mounted in the space in the fender to the right of the battery. Again, I like all the cubic inches I can get, but sometimes there are reasons a BB is not the way to go. So if you want all the cubes you can get and need to stay with a SB, don't be afraid of a SB400. When you build it, be sure the machine shop vats and cleans the block/heads good, use a good water pump and make sure the radiator is in good shape. If unsure, take the radiator to a shop to be rodded out or have it re-cored. And add an over flow bottle.

------------------

·
Gold Founding Member
63,491 Posts
Good info to know Tom !,
We have 3 of them, one in a 70 1/2 ton 4X4, one in a 78 1/2 ton 4X4 and one waiting to go in #1 son's 68 Malibu.
No overheating problems with the two in the 4X4's

But we never could figure out why the 350 we transplanted from a pickup into a 82 firebird runs hot. We have tried a new radiator, put on a new flex fan with no clutch and new thermostats.

Oh well it has a rod knocking now so it is parked and staying cool.

------------------
Dean Call
Team Gold member #3
A.C.E.S. # 00235
N.C.O.A. # 4350

macc.chevelles.net

[This message has been edited by Dean (edited 08-29-99).]

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
hey Dean does the firebird still have the plastic airdam under the nose? It directs air up through the radiator, I had a 82 T/A
dirt track car and I couldnt keep it cool because this was missing..

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
I've got a friend who built SB 400 for his Monte dirt track car that he races at Boyd, Texas. It is stroked to 425 cubes, and he has never overheated it unless it blew a hose or got debris in the radiator and lost the coolant. It's down right now due to a couple of busted pistons, but remember, this is a race engine that's screaming for its life every Friday night.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.