Chevelles.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I got most everything working now except the wipers and the amp gauge. I hooked up the amp gauge per the instructions in the archives, but it is not reacting.
The wiper switch has me a little concerned. THe plug in the harness for the LS6 gauges I got has a 4 pin connector on it as opposed to the normal 3 pin connector. I have never seen this before. It also appears that in the bulkhead connector, the wires for the wiper switch are in the wrong location. Anyone else ever see a 4 pin connector for the wiper switch before?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Wha'ca mean normal 3-prong connector? Normal for us 72 guys is 4. Told you before the harness the dude sold you was a 72 harness. Yep, you guessed it, the engineers decided that they needed to change things and they changed the switch.
Had my 72 for years and it has some oddities to it. Double-check my guess against the 72 schematic. Think I have a work-around for the switch problem if I'm right. 72 switches aren't cheap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i am also having trouble with the amp gauge.one wire was hooked up.it is from the alt to the gauge,where do i connect the other trminal to?

·
Premium Member
16,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John,

I now got everything working except the amp gauge. I reconfigured the whole firewall connector to a 70 setup. I also still have one wire hangingout of the firewall connector that I can't trace, dark blue lead. I guess it's a lesson learned on what exactly to look for when getting stuff off Ebay

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi tom,

i know your hung up right now.when you get a chance please let me know if a 70 ss dash has wiring to each gauge.i thought that the gauges received info from the circuit board.the lights for the gauges work but none of the gauges work except the speedo.the previous owner cut up the wiring to do disconnect problems instead of fixing them.he installed under dash gauges which work except for the amp meter.
any help would be appreciated.
thanks and good luck...

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Dark blue sounds like a wiper connection. Only one I can think of off the top of my head. Which connector is it coming out of? Engine harness?

·
Premium Member
16,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's coming out of the dash harness. I used a multi meter to check for continuity, but I couldn't find the other end of the wire. I had the dark blue for the wipers, one of the turn signals, and the oil pressure, all checked ok, just not sure where this one goes.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Which connector on the dash harness does it come out?
The inside bulkhead connector is mating half for the engine harness. The outside towards the left fender is the one for the forward lamp harness. I may not have an answer to this question. Might try emailing Elree Colby.

·
Premium Member
16,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was in place where the wiper connection would be on a 70. I pulled it out of there in order to move the wipers over there. The exact location of it was on the engine harness side in the upper right corner if viewed from inside the car. I'll drop Elree an email later today. I had him make up the amp wires for me also for the engine compartment.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
my 68 wiper motor got 5 wires the top conector is yellow then dark blue bottem is black , yellow then a seperate lt blue... thats reading left to right the only other blue wire in that harness is the oil presure idiot lite wire I'm thinking maybe you missed hooking up the seperate bottem conector wire to the wiper motor ??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts