Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading somewhere that on some cars the heater core and heating system must be working properly for the ac to work right. Is this true? I have a 72 malibu and my heater core is bad and the hoses have been cut.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
if it's just the hoses and nothin has been messed with in the box, it will work fine.

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
GOLD Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
Big Block Chevy.net
proud owner of this site
(OO=ss=OO)

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Yes that’s true. For correct operation of the “Four Season” system the heater core and water valve need to be in place. A cable connects the temperature control lever to the temperature door. The door directs none, part or all of the cool air from the A\C evaporator across the heater core depending on the position of the temp lever. Thus the air is reheated to control temperature. Also when the lever is in the max cold position vacuum is applied to the water valve stopping the flow of water to the heater core.

The system will cool without the heat connected. The problem is it may be too cool. If this is the case you can lower the blower speed or turn the A\C off.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Elree is right about the operation and brings to mind a question that several 69 owners have had about gettin heat on the driver feet when the system is off. With this type of system I wonder if the control door is not just exactly right if it allows this heat in?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 70 seems to allow some hot air in at my feet. When the air is on it does blow ice cold though.;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.