Chevelles.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my dash today. Its out of a monte carlo. I am going to be replacing my sweep dash in my 71 to the monte dash. I did not get the wiring harness for the dash, which harness do i need. Also when i looked at the back of the cluster, the blue paper that the copper lines run through is peeling and some of the copper is showing. Is that bad, and is there a replacement for this. Im not sure if it works yet. Does anybody have the installation steps saved, i couldnt find what i needed in search. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
16,478 Posts
If it has the idiot lights, then just get a harness for a 71 SS with warning lights, it will run you about $350. You can get a new circuit board for the back, and I would replace it. You can get a new one for about $100. Just make sure the dash is out of a 70 or 71 and not a 72, they are different, I found out the hard way.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not sure what it came out of, i do know that it has the big holes in it where the wood grain panel snapped on. What are idiot lights, and where are they located. Will a monte dash harness work. Is there a writeup on this yet, i have been searching.

·
Premium Member
16,478 Posts
Idiot lights are the warning lights (Gen, Temp, Oil) that are in the small pods. It either has those or actual gauges (fuel, temp, amp) inthe small pods. A Monte harness is identical to a Chevelle harness. You will know if it is a 72 harness, half of the stuff in the car will not work once it's installed. There is an article here on the sight about converting to an SS dash, just have to search for it a little more.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
"i do know that it has the big holes in it where the wood grain panel snapped on"

If it has the holes it's either a 70 or a 71, you can tell by the color of the lettering/scale divisions/numbers, lt green is 70 - white is 71.

"Will a monte dash harness work."

Yes, you will need a dash harness from a 71 Monte, 70 will work with slight mods, 72 will not work without major mods.

"What are idiot lights'

If the cluster has red indication lights for the GEN, OIL & TEMP it's an IDIOT LIGHT cluster. If the cluster has small gauges for AMP, TEMP and FUEL, and large tach, speedo and clock, it's a gauge cluster. Each cluster gets a different harness, gauge cluster also needs a different forward lamp harness or wires added to the existing forward lamp harness for the amp gauge.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Originally posted by chuck240z:
how do i know if its a 72 dash.
It will have a seatbelt warning light located next to the lighter.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Here's the link to a page that has all the wiring diagrams for both idiot light and gauge harness'.

http://www.azendrud.com/gauges/

I used it when I converted, works fine.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
If you follow the link above note that the bulkhead connector (fuseblock) diagrams apply to 70 and 71 only NOT 72

1 - 9 of 9 Posts