Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we all know the harbor freight butt weld clamps need a gap in the sheet metal of .040. That's too much of a gap. What i'v done is find some metal scrap banding material, (used to band material to a pallett) That is .018 thick. I took the stud out of the butt weld clamp, Cut a piece of the band material the same lenght, Punched a hole in one end with my Flange - Punch tool and brazed the band material to a 1/4 x 20 x 1/2 slotted machine screw and inserted into the clamp and then put a wing nut on it. Then find a screw that fit's the punched hole and cut it the width of the clamp. Now you have a butt weld clamp that will fit into a .018 gap instead of .040. The harbor freight butt weld clamp uses a metric wing nut so you will need a wing nut to match the screw that u use and u may have to redrill the clamp for the machine screw as well. Happy Butt welding. C-ya Scott

·
Registered
448 Posts
Scott, Good info..... I have those clamps and you are right, just to large a gap... I will try making a set too... Once again thanks for the good info...

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I made 25 Modifyed clamps and they work sweet. Some of the weld's did srink enought that it was difficult to get the clamps out, But better than a 040 gap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts