Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1970 SS396 El Camino. Prior owner redid interior with buckets and center console. Not sure if seats are 69 or 70 (the button to lay the seat forward is on the side of the seat, not in the back).

Question: I have three inches space between the top back of the seat and the 'shelf' below the window. I can't move the seat back farther without moving the mounts. How about tilting the seat back farther? Is there a way to grind something in the seat to accomplish this?

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I used 4 pieces of 3/16" flat metal about a 1' wide and 3" long. Drill holes in both ends and moved my seat back about 1" while still using the stock mounts. Worked fairly well and could be moved back further, I guess. I read where others had done the same on this site.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Look at the bumpers on the bottom of the seat when the back is folded forward. You can take some off of them and that will allow the seat back to tilt back farther.
Side release button on the Strato-Bucket is a 1967, 1968 thing.

Dan

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
I am 6'6" and I cut my seat bumpers in my 70 ELcamino. I have to keep the headrest up so it doesn't hit the rear package shelf.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Bo, I did exactly the same as you but moved mine back 3", With them all the way back I just barley get to the gas pedal. Couldn't have turned out any nicer!

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
On my Camino & Wagon, I installed some spacers under the seatbacks to tilt them forward & seat frames to get them " Where I want them". I believe you will have a lot of areas to play around with getting the seats where you are happy.:yes:
Bob

·
Premium Member
13,601 Posts
Guys I hope he has solved the problem by now. Thread is over four years old.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Guys I hope he has solved the problem by now. Thread is over four years old.
It's never to late to throw in your 2 cents worth....lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts