Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the middle of installing power windows in a 67 El Camino and need some help. I am using the original harness, switches etc. but the regulators are from A1 electric and use reverse polarity motors. The only way this will operate is to use relays in the system. can anyone advise me on how this works and how to wire it up.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by reverse polarity motors. The up and down terminals are reversed?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On the original harness when you depress the switch either up or down it sends a positive current (the motor being the ground). On the motors I have, they operate by switching positive for negative(this gives you the up and down motion of the window) I hope I explained this correctly!

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Mark at MADD ENTERPRISES swears by "Relays".

Call him at 559-539-7128.

This could be one of the best experiences you will ever have. He is one of the most knowledgeable persons in the electrical field that you will ever know.

Please tell him that Richard from Las Vegas recommended him.

------------------
Team Members Forever #341

Richard, Judy, MAXX2

'69 Elke (Frame Off); GM HO 350/330-Mildly Ported Vortec Heads-Manley Severe Duty SS 2.02/1.60 Valves, Comp Cams Full Roller Package (Magnum)-Custom Grind CS 3315/3316 HR112-.510/.520 Lift, Edelbrock Air-Gap W/750 Performer Manual Choke-Performer 100 HP NOS, March Pulleys, 4L60 (Non Computer) W/Lokar Shifter, 12 Bolt Posi.

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
The GM motor has 2 inputs and a common ground. Direction (UP or DoWN) depends on which input gets 12V and is then grounded thru the motor. With the aftermarket motor, there are only 2 inputs. Direction is determined by which input is connected to power & other to ground. The motor case is plastic & not grounded.

This is a circuit I devised to run the aftermarket motors in my elky. I use GM switches with the aftermarket motors. It uses 2 relays. Can anyone improve on it?? Its been working for 4 yrs, but I wonder if it is the simplest solution to pats problem

http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/windowrelays.jpg

------------------
Rick
72 El Camino
TPI 350/700r4

[This message has been edited by rick (edited 03-10-2002).]

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Rick your two relay idea is just fine. Just one thing I would change. I would bring 12 volts to the N/C relay contacts from a source before the switch and not have the window motor load go through the switch contacts. Let the relay contacts take the motor load all by themselves. Mike

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
This drawing is basically the same as Rick’s. Maybe a little easier to see how it works.

The relays, relay bases and wire terminals are all available from Newark Electronics in Chicago. 1-800-463-9275 WWW.newark.com.

The relays are automotive type rated at 40 Amps and are single pole double throw (SPDT). With a surprised coil.

Part # 90F8251 (VF4-15F11-S01)

The relay bases have a molded plastic mounting hole and will attach to one another.

Part # 90F8247

The wire terminals are open barrel (spade type) terminals that are captured in the base, similar to the way the GM terminal ends are captured in the GM connectors.

Part # 50F998 for wire gauges 18 – 20
50F999 for wire gauges 14 – 16
50F1000 for wire gauges 10 – 12

·
Registered
423 Posts
Tim;

If you have any problems getting it to work, I'd be happy to help. The biggest problem would be that in order to be real specific, I'd have to see the paperwork that they supplied. If you can't make sense of it, e-mail me and I'll give you my address so you can mail out a copy.

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference section
Gold Member #5

1 - 10 of 10 Posts