Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering changing from conventional motor oil to Mobil 1. Do I just change over or is there any special steps I need to take? Engine is a 1969 396-375 hp. Is it worth the price or should I stay with regualr oil?

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Well Rob, you've opened up a subject which is a regular on here. You will likely get lots of opinions in this regard. If our "search" engine was available you would find out what I mean.

From my standpoint I have always used full synthetic in my classics and didn't do anything special for the changeover.

BTW - welcome to the board if I haven't done that yet. Good to have another 375HP 69 hanging out with us.

Good luck.

------------------
ACES #4241, TC #947
69 SS Sedan

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Do we really want to start this. I don't use it but I know people who had good luck with it. I might just be too cheap to spend the money.

G

·
I use Mobil 1 15w40 in my '69 L78. You don't have to do anything special, as both oils are compatible.

Rick

------------------
'69 SS 396 L78 (Chevelle Thunder)
'81 GMC Caballero 4 speed
Team Chevelle Gold Member #152
ACES #560

My '69 SS 396

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
15-50 here
the only thing to worry about changing to it is that you didn't do it sooner

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
GOLD Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
Big Block Chevy.net
proud owner of this site
(OO=ss=OO)

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chev-hell:
15-50 here
the only thing to worry about changing to it is that you didn't do it sooner

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What about on higher mileage engines that have been running regular 10/30 - 10/40. I have heard that switching over to synthetic may cause leaks, which is why I havent switched. Is this true?
Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
Im 20/50 Castrol, that was after I learned that Penzoil has a parafin base which can translate in buildup, even with a regular change. I used Penzoil for years, but it becomes a preference as much as a topic of debate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.