Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
1970 Chevelle Convertible & 1965 Chevelle SS Convertible
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed there are not a lot of Mist green Chevelle SS around. When I do find one they stay for sale for a long time. Whats the deal with that the color in my opinion it is really not so bad, its actually very nice. What do you guys think of the Mist Green color, how come no one likes it? Is it fairly rare on the SS?

Rich

·
Registered
321 Posts
Mist Green is definitely a dated color. No other color screams mid 60's to early 70's like Mist Green. It also seemed to be the favorite color of everyone's grandma's car.

The color is meek. It has very little vibrance of chroma. It presents a personality of exponential plainness, almost a cloak of invisibility. The color says little, and very softly I might add.

Add to it a green interior and you're swimming in mediocrity. **shudder**

There is a reason why almost every SS or SS clone winds up red w/ black stripes (and also why so few SS are factory Mist Green). The color becomes a statement of purpose. Why do you think they call it "Arrest Me Red"? Whatever you may think of Red (I personally don't like the idea that almost all SS cars end up Red, and can appreciate Mopars for such OEM colors and Plum Crazy Purple) at least it leaves a visceral impression, unlike Mist Green which is virtually impressionless.

I work as an Art Director in a NYC Ad Agency, so take my opinions with how ever many grains of salt you wish. It is my job to understand color, but aesthetics are a whimiscal and ethereal subject prone to MANY different interpertations.

All this said, let me just state how happy I am to have found my car. Deep Fathom Blue, white stripes, white vinyl top, white bucket seat interior. The car is elegant, sexy, and not Mist Green OR Red. I'm happy.

------------------
??michael j Team Chevelle Gold #77
70 Chevelle SS396 4sp, Fathom Blue/White Stripes - Canadian built

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
My 70 Malibu is Mist Green under a cheap dark green paintjob. I will be going Hunter Green (I've already got the colored primer).

I think the Mist Green just dosen't show up the Muscle car lines.

Here is a Mailbu that freshened up the original color.

http://chevelles.com/feature/sept98.html

------------------
DG
Springfield, Ohio
70 Chevelle Malibu

www.wright.edu/~adams.6/chevy.htm
TEAM Chevelle Member #0086
Genx member (Founder 4 Ohio)

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Hey Now, my '69 is the original Frost Green (the same as the Mist green you're referring to), with a dark green interior, and I like it! My car is actually two tone, with a strip of silver paint below the rocker panel moulding, and green everywhere else. to my knowledge, it rolled out of the factory with that.

My car usually stands out, because it's different. While everyone and their cousine is painting their chevelles red, black, or blue, mine maintains it's original hue. In 7 years of owning it, I've only ever seen two other frost green chevelles. I've never taken my car to a show where there was another the same color, and I'd usually get alot of compliments on the paint job and the unusual color.

I'll keep Big Green the way he is, thank you. :)

·
Gold Founding Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well - I bought the car anyway - I agree with 69BOO - I think the fact that it screams mid 60's to early 70's is a perfect reason for owning one with that color. After all the car is a classic and what better color to show it as one.

Rich

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
An advantage of having such an 'invisible' color: I've never been pulled when driving my Chevelle (knock on wood).

I went by a state trooper a few days ago, who I saw all too late, going about 90 in a 65. he pulled out, blue lights 'a flashing, and totally ignored me, pulling the bright red Ford pickup in the lane next to me who wasn't going quite as fast as I was. lucky? maybe so. I bet if my Chevelle was red, I would have been the one with the ticket there.

I've read (and contributed to) several threads on this site bashing rice-rocket guys because of the lack of originality, so I'm suprised to see fellow Chevelle people putting down a rather rare (at least now) color Chevelle. it would be awful boring for us if we were driving blue, red, or black SS's with white stripes down the hood.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
With all due respect to Michael and the other members here, I think you're wrong.

You need to look at it from a standpoint of other than what sells cars today.

Would that color, or what I've got (Ash Gold), be a death wish for a new car today? Yes, I think it would, and for the reasons that Michael states. But if you look at it from the standpoint of the type of people buying the classic cars today, the motivation is quite different. First of all, anyone buying a classic today has just shown that they're far from meek or plain. The object itself defies that label. On the other hand, a new car in Mist Green would scream that the owner was afraid of their own shadow.

When you take into account that red Chevelles are reproducing like rabbits (example: 30% of the past 2 years of TC Feature Cars are a shade of red), someone with an "odd" color such as Mist Green will stand out like a sore thumb. It's a color that most people haven't seen, and as such, will take notice of. It says that the owner has some originality and isn't one of those people who think that all fast cars have to be red.

Personally, I would spend much longer looking over a Mist Green Chevelle with a set of Centerline Autodrags than I would looking at one of the seemingly thousands of red with black stripe and chrome Crager SS cars out there.

Now, before anyone with a red car gets their shop rags in a bunch and fires off a heated reply, let me say that I know I've made some very general comments here, and it certainly wasn't my intent to upset anyone. I just think that in this context, an off color like Mist Green has a totally different effect than what Michael pointed out.

Kurt (ready to be nailed by someone with a red chevelle
)

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
www.geocities.com/~68_chevelle/Chevelle/Info.html
Email: [email protected]
T.C. Gold #6
A.C.E.S. #1352

[This message has been edited by Byfield (edited 10-19-99).]

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I used to get that all the time when mine was on the road.My car is original Pewter Silver and everyone around thought it was Mist Green.It's a good looking color, opened an old magazine this morning, and there was a Mist Green(actually Frost Lime/code 59 in ' 69) S.S. w/ black vinyl and black stripes on the side.Very good looking car.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I have a '70 Elky that was originally Green Mist Iradescent with a green vinyl top (now black with black top) and I love the color. There is parts of the car where the other paint has chipped off and it shines through. Why does everyone always like to have theirs painted Forest Green after Green Mist?? That's what someone did on mine before it was painted red and then black.

------------------
1970 Chevy Custom El Camino aka Kaileigh
Built on: November 25, 1969 in Baltimore
Green Mist #45 w/Green Vinyl Top
350ci/300HP 4bbl Small Block
Factory Dual Exhaust and Rally Wheels
www.dreamelectric.com

[This message has been edited by Shawn (edited 10-19-99).]

·
Registered
321 Posts
To Kurt's point when going for originality, if you're looking at a Mist Green car, chances are better that it has escaped being molested than the plethora of "Red" cars out there.

For me the color brings back memories of pictures of me when I was 4: Green & brown PLAID suite, mustard shirt, big brown bow tie. What was my mother thinking?

There is beauty in the originality of any vehichle, that includes Mist Green ones. I just don't identify with it.

------------------
??michael j Team Chevelle Gold #77
70 Chevelle SS396 4sp, Fathom Blue/White Stripes - Canadian built

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Okay, I gotta get my $.02 in on this one.

Personally I don't like any green on ANY car. My father drove his (now mine) AUTUMN GOLD '70 off the dealer lot in '69 proudly knowing that he went with gold instead of everyone else buying green...Everyone bought green when it came to Malibus.

Today there's a lighter custom blend of gold paint on the car. Looks better than some modern cars.

Back to green. Anyway, I think original shade of greens on our cars look pretty respectable...If there maintained. Puky colors are the result of 30+ year old paint jobs not taken care of.

I could just whack some people on the side of the head when I hear...
"Yuck, those old cars had such ugly puky paint colors like green"....As they walk off and get into there "Forest GREEN" Dodge Neon.

I swear I saw a load of 2000 Neons wearing a damn near match of 1970 Chevelle Mist green coming into a local dealership. What goes around comes around 30 years later.

People need to look around at what colors are on the road today. I've seen a Mitsubishi that had a shade of green that would require the driver to carry a barf bag. I've seen a ??? some sort of foreign SUV with a shade, I swear was more drab than U.S. Military vehicle green! And people criticize "our" cars!

Bottom line, yours truly doesn't particularly like green cars, but I have a helluva lot more respect for a Chevelle wearing an original shade than John Q. Public buying "Forrest" and "Dark Jade" cars of today.

home.netcom.com/~radiojoe/restore.html

[This message has been edited by Coppertop (edited 10-19-99).]

[This message has been edited by Coppertop (edited 10-19-99).]

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Well you all know after that many 'red' comments you would get a response from a red Chevelle owner! Mine was red when i got it so had no choice. If and ever it needs re-doing maybe I will change colour and then again maybe I wont. Chevelles are a classic no matter what colour they are, if they are well done,they look great to me, and it sure is fun driving one.Unfortunately mine will be winterized this weekend. I hope those of you that get 12 months a year driving your baby enjoy it, I'm done till spring. spring.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well my 66 is gonna be metalic blue (2d) and it will eventually have black interior. I think the green is cool and if i had some cash to spend on another chevelle i would buy it. Unless there was something the exact same in black with white stripes. I don't mind red but there are alot of them around too. They catch your eye alot faster i find.

I like the mopar colors plum crazy and such. they are cool since they catch your eye faster i guess

------------------
OWNER OF 66 CHEVELLE MALIBU

Check out page dedicated to resto of my chevelle. still being made.
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Shop/9801/

Canadian Classics Chevelles and Beaumonts #393

·
Registered
287 Posts
I like OEM colors no matter what they are. But I am so tired of red, black and blue colors. It seems that whenever anyone thinks of a 70 SS it is red w/ black stripes. Yes they are nice but the color schemes are common. I used to like that racy color stuff but now I have done a 180 turn. Give me an odd OEM color thats not common today and I'm drawn to that car.
Personally I think the OEM gold color that my Chevelle is being painted is ugly. But thats why I like it. It's different. Just my 2 cents. I like the green color. It says "I'm an individual, I don't follow the latest fad"

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
The reason many formally mist or frost green Chevelles wind up a different shade of green may have to do with the interior color. My '69 malibu was originally code 59 frost green. It was the one thing I couldn't wait to change, but since the interior was a like- new dark green, the only color I could reasonably consider changing to (and still stay with an original color) without changing the interior, was code 57 fathom green. It's worn that color since the mid eighties when I might add, not many people were paying much attention to originality.
Today, I plan on repainting it and have decided to stay with the fathom green. I personally can't stand the frost green, but I have seen cars done up right in original colors I probably would have dismissed that looked absolutely fantastic. The fact that they were not what everyone else had was a definite plus and contributed to the overall nostalgia quality of the car.
Michael's response is well put and speaks from a position of experience, but there is more to the equation than what the popular sentiment is today.I remember when people were spending big bucks to update their homes with harvest gold kitchens and dark wood panelling. The white appliances were put out for bulk collection. These cars deserve to have color decisions carefully considered with many perspectives in mind.
Just don't try to talk me into frost green.
Rich

·
Gold Founding Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, thks for all of your posts on this one, glad to see not everybody dislikes the Sea Mist Green. I'll try and post a pic soon. I think most will be surprised that with Black Stripes it looks really good.

Thks

·
Administrator
16,194 Posts
My 70 was a light green color, don't know the code since I sold it, with a dark green interior. I changed the inside to black and painted the body Malachite Metallic, which is a green color. After that I bought a 78 El Camino same light green paint as the 70, again I don't know the code as it stays in Phoenix to use when I'm down there, but I repainted it back original and it looks sharp. My 64 was Ermine white and I'm going to repaint it that color, it's a little plain but I hope to make up for that with horsepower.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Lakeside, AZ
Team Chevelle Member #42 GOLD
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I hate to start a trend but,here goes. House of Kolor has a sample of Kandy colors called "Kandy Organic Green". One color green but twelve different base coats to choose from. I've seen two cars painted with different base coats absoultely beautiful.

If your a green car person this is it. One bad thing big $$ to paint. I'll have to get someone who paints Kandy on the side to get it done reasonable.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Brob (edited 10-22-99).]

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.