Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I have a 69 Camaro so question pertains to it, not much reply on Camaro Tech. I plan on mini tubbing my Camaro but keeping my 12 bolt (not cutting to shorter length) so question is how wide/big tire can I go. the rims will be 15x12 Weld Pro Star. Has cal-tracs and shocks will be what I have which are comp engineering drag that have the 3 settings if that matters anyway. Thanks!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First off, I have a 69 Camaro so question pertains to it, not much reply on Camaro Tech. I plan on mini tubbing my Camaro but keeping my 12 bolt (not cutting to shorter length) so question is how wide/big tire can I go. the rims will be 15x12 Weld Pro Star. Has cal-tracs and shocks will be what I have which are comp engineering drag that have the 3 settings if that matters anyway. Thanks!
Should have mention my current tire is 275/60/15. Seen some post already and replies are mainly 315 but how much wider just asking as if only 1-2" as this will cost $ and worth it for a small width gain

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Measuring Tape will tell you how much, measure Dr & Passenger sides;
Then with the Wheels/Tires off the Rearend on both sides,

A. Total Width Room from the Outside Fender Inner Lip to Inside Fender/Frame
you will have after the Mini Tubing

B. Measure the Outside Room from the Fender Inner Lip to the Face of the Drum/Disc Brakes where the Wheel will be mounted to
C. Measure the Inside Room from the Face of the Drum/Disc Brakes where the Wheel will be mounted to, to the Inside Fender/Frame

These 3 #s will then provide the bases of what Wheel Width and BackSpace
is needed to put the Widest Tire that will fit within the Car's Fenderwells

Note
1. if the Fenderwells are not as wide further up in the Fenderwells
and you have lowered the Car's stance, that will effect the Height/Diam of the Tire also,
along with the Width of the Tire, that will fit within the Fenderwells
2. note if the Cal Tacs /Springs or Shocks interfere with any measuring

Provide info and I can cal for you

·
Registered
499 Posts
Google it and if not
Tub it and then take it to a tire shop they have the measuring tool to let you know how big of wheel and tire will fit
there are lot of mini tubed 69s out there

·
Registered
767 Posts
re-reading the post op wants to know how big of a tire ..well doesn't it all relate to the backspacing of the rim if he wants to keep axle original length...in relation to inner and outer fender????

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for replies. Will go with Detroit Speed tubs, probably roll the fender lips and do some measuring as stated by a reply and go from there. Backspacing will play a part as I want a deep looking wheel so it will be 4.5 or 3.5

·
Registered
161 Posts
Stock Eliminator Camaro's can fit a 9X30 tire in the stock wheel opening. The opening to me is what is going to limit your height without cutting. Width, you are limited to your imagination. I would get a set of S&W race cars 69 Camaro replacement frame rails and move them in to where you want instead of using the factory stuff.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My 68 Camaro I'm doing I mini tubbed and moved the spring in 3" with smith racecraft shakles and caltracs and I'm running a 295x55 mickey Thompson radial which is 28" tall and a 12" section width on a 10" rim with 4.5" BS and I can drag my fingers between the inner sidewall and leaf spring.My rear has been narrowed a few inches on each side to get that wheel in there with that backspace I could maybe go a bit wider to the outside but deffinatley not inside.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Thanks for replies. Will go with Detroit Speed tubs, probably roll the fender lips and do some measuring as stated by a reply and go from there. Backspacing will play a part as I want a deep looking wheel so it will be 4.5 or 3.5
Like I said, mine is not done yet but I would bet you need a bunch more backspace to take advantage of the extra room provided by the mini tub. Basically a 4.5 doesn't crowd the original inner wheel well on a 69 Camaro with stock axle width. To take advantage of the bigger inner wheel housing (about 2" deeper) you have to add offset (move the tire inward). If you want the deep dish look, and I can't blame you, you would likely need to use a narrower axle.

A call to Detroit Speed would likely result in some wheel size recommendations. If you do call, please post up the results :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts