Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To make a long story short the other night we got alot of heavy rain and a section of the road flooded. While driving on that section my truck encountered some knee deep water and stalled the truck. Afterwards I was able to get the truck to run but now sometimes my Powermaster ministarter, when the ignition switch is turned, will click but not turn the motor over. After a few tries ususally it finally turns the engine over.

I sure hope my starter isn't toast....it's fairly new. What seems to be wrong with it? How do i fix it?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Does it turn if you jump it with a screwdriver? Yank the coil wire off the car so the engine doesn't fire with you under it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have the same problem with my BBC but mine is a stock gm starter. At first it was the connection to the starter from the ignition. So I replaced the solenoid and that fix it alot better but not all the time. It "clicks" once in a while but then starts right up after you turn it again. I think I just need a rebuild and you might too from that encounter with water.

Is the starter new? How old is it.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it's new....maybe 3 or 4 months old.

I'm thinking maybe something's rusting inside but I don't know. It works when it wants to.

BTW I've not tried the screwdriver trick yet but I don't think it will work any better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts