Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after trying to shim a junk parts store starter every which way I finally pulled the trigger on a powermaster 9200 mini starter. It started the car like butter without any shims. Once the car fired though I heard a terrible hammering sound. I thought it was rod knock or something internally catastrophic. My pops said crawl back under and look at the flexplate and I saw this. Anybody every experience an issue like this. I’m thinking I just take some of that casting off the starter to gain the clearance so it doesn’t touch. Any ideas?

btw this is a mark iv 454 with a turbo 400

Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
10,475 Posts
When you pull the starter out you'll see the contact spot, just grind it and enough for a little extra clearance but don't grind through it

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
10,475 Posts
I've never needed to do any starter grinding, have had my share of grinding starters though

·
Super Moderator
9,644 Posts
Are you using shouldered starter bolts? Starter may have moved around with non shouldered bolts?

Reactions: oldguy67

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you using shouldered starter bolts? Starter may have moved around with non shouldered bolts?
I’m using the knurled starter bolts that came with the starter. The starter itself is dead quiet (tested without ignition), but once the motor fires all hell breaks loose and it sounds like somebody is smacking the motor with a hammer

·
Registered
13,256 Posts
Crank moves back and forth due to thrust clearance

Reactions: mikev65

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Are the bolts you are using on the torque converter purpose-built or are the general hardware? Asking because maybe the bolt heads are too thick.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are the bolts you are using on the torque converter purpose-built or are the general hardware? Asking because maybe the bolt heads are too thick.
I yanked the motor/trans combo out of an 87 chevy r30 so I reused all the same hardware. I didn’t have a problem with the starter housing touching the flex plate with the parts store starters, I just could get the starter gear/ring gear to play nice. Now I got the mini starter meshing perfectly but the housing of it touches the Flexplate. I thought maybe the Flexplate was in backwards but the pads on the torque converter are on the raised part of the Flexplate. Can’t think of anything else to do besides shave some material from the starter housing

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
I like the factory starters. I get them rebuilt by this local rebuilder who builds true hi torque starters. I can set my initial to 30 on my 454 when hot and if fires right up. You can hardly hear the starter the engine turns over so fast. The rebuilder said the stock starters spin the engine faster and this gets the oil pump moving oil through the engine much faster.
The rebuilder owns 25 sixties GM cars including a 1969 big block el Camino like mine.

·
Super Moderator
13,492 Posts
I cant say I have ever seen converter bolts that stick up that far from the flexplate. You say the flexplate is on properly so that isnt the issue. I would say take the starter off and grind on it. Seems like there is more and more of this type of stuff going on lately :( :(

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I cant say I have ever seen converter bolts that stick up that far from the flexplate. You say the flexplate is on properly so that isnt the issue. I would say take the starter off and grind on it. Seems like there is more and more of this type of stuff going on lately :( :(
It appears your converter bolts are the problem. Trimming the starter will not hurt it, and should correct your issue.
Where are y’all seeing converter bolts in his picture? The only thing I see is the counterweight on the flex plate and that looks to be what is hitting the starter housing.

I agree with folks above - grind a little clearance on the starter housing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts