Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a mini starter (CVR Pro torque) for my 66 SS. It has a 454 with HEI. Last summer, i ran it without an R wire. After checking some old posts, I found that Ignition Man said I have to have the R wire to start my car. It worked fine with the old starter, so do I need it with the mini starter. The mini starter only has two tabs, one for battery hot wire, the other for the S wire.
Thanks in advance, Chief

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
disconnect the yellow R wire from both the Dist and the starter. Its no longer needed with the HEI and two pole starter

------------------
Philip Mullaly
72 TPI El Camino
An Oldsmobile is a Chevy with lock-washers(and more torque)

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Phil, Thats not always true, it depends on the ignition switch.

The R wire's purpose is to give power to the coil during cranking. Some later Ign switchs will give power to the coil in both the start and run mode. But, early Ign switches did not give the coil power in start and therefore the R wire AKA resiator by-pass is needed.

None so far has been able to tell me what year the switches went from one to the other, some speculation is that around 68 or 69. BTW many replacement brands even for early years are made to supply coil power in start and run, so if the switch was replaced there is a good chance you won't need an R wire.

In my 67 the coil pos. only had power in the run mode, in the start mode the coil was dead. My ign switch is original. When I went to a mini starter with no provisions for an R wire, my car still started but only after letting go of the key(run Mode). I would have to crank it then let go of the key and it would then get a spark and catch.

I corrected the problem w/ a relay, to give the coil power during Start.

The only way to be sure is to test the coil positive for power with the key in both Start and Run.

------------------
67 Malibu Conv (always under construction)
64 Lemans Conv, Building for my brother-in-law
"If You Don't Drive It-Sell It"

·
Administrator
16,203 Posts
If you run a new wire from a source that is hot in both the run and start positions you will be fine. I converted a 68 Camaro to HEI and ran a 12 gauge wire from the fuse panel to the distributer and it starts great. I also left all the original wires in the gutter so that changing it back in the future would be real easy if the owner decides to.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm getting ready to install a mini starter in a new 454 Chevelle. (many years in the making) I went with an MSD 6 (also quite the nightmare for me in getting it wired) and pro billet dist. and Blaster 2 coil...and in reading everything on here from the experts the yellow 16(?) gauge is not getting hooked up to the mini starter...or can be even. Either way? Is that right?
Lou

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I just bought a mini starter (CVR Pro torque) for my 66 SS. It has a 454 with HEI. Last summer, i ran it without an R wire. After checking some old posts, I found that Ignition Man said I have to have the R wire to start my car. It worked fine with the old starter, so do I need it with the mini starter. The mini starter only has two tabs, one for battery hot wire, the other for the S wire.
Thanks in advance, Chief
If it started fine without the yellow wire on the old starter, you don't need it with the new starter.
onabudget said:
None so far has been able to tell me what year the switches went from one to the other, some speculation is that around 68 or 69.
My 70 chevelle resister wire had power in both the crank and run positions, my 72Z did not. You just never know.
64elcamino said:
If you run a new wire from a source that is hot in both the run and start positions you will be fine. I converted a 68 Camaro to HEI and ran a 12 gauge wire from the fuse panel to the distributer and it starts great.
The disadvantage of using the fusebox is you are pulling power from a fused circuit for other things. If that circuit ever had a problem, it would prevent the car from running although you could move it to another terminal (like the BAT terminal) to get home. Found out that the hard way.
Lou59 said:
...and in reading everything on here from the experts the yellow 16(?) gauge is not getting hooked up to the mini starter...or can be even. Either way? Is that right?
Mini starters only have 2 terminals, large one for the battery cable and a small one for the purple wire ("S" terminal) There is no provision for the yellow wire ("R" terminal). You would need to check the wire going to the small red on the MSD 6 that it has power in both the crank and run positions. If it does, nothing else is needed, if not, you can use a relay or a diode to get power in the crank position.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just installed a DB Electrical mini starter in our 71 El Camino SB. We have an MSD HEI dist. When we attempted to start, it sounded like the starter engaged, disengaged and continued to spin until we pulled the battery cable off? Any thoughts? Did connect the purple wire to the spade terminal on the new starter, and left the yellow disconnected.
Thanks in advance.
Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts