Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a mini-starter for my sb400. Are these different from the mini-starters for other small blocks?

thanks

------------------
Team Chevelle Gold
1965 406 6speed

·
Registered
124 Posts
no different

------------------
Troy Miller
Whiteford,Maryland
70 Nova
72 Nova
66 Chevelle

·
Registered
225 Posts
Some 400 small blocks only have the diagonal mounting pattern instead of the straight across pattern, some are drilled for both. Most mini-starters only have the straight bolt pattern.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I have the diagonal pattern. I thought I saw a different kind of mini-starter a while back. Don't remember where. It didn't have that large block on the gear side like other mini-starters. I think this was the one I need. But where do I get one?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Check your flex plate size. You'll need to know the tooth count (or size) of your flex plate it'll be 154 or 162 tooth count

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 eng / 4L60E trans
"Canyon Carver"

·
Registered
225 Posts
I was able to find a diagonal pattern mini-starter at a local starter rebuilder. He said that it was a corvette style - I'm not sure who made the housing, but it had a Nippondenso motor in it. I didn't like it because it would eventually work loose and grind because they don't have the rear brace to keep it stabalized. I ended up having the shop build a "SUPER TORQUE" starter in the stock housing so that I could use the rear brace.

G

·
Typically, most mini-starters come ready to be used for both large and small flywheels--two sets of mounting holes.

·
Gold Founding Member
10,971 Posts
GM sells a mini-starter with the diagonal bolt pattern as PN 9000852. GM considers it tough enough to advertise it in the "Big Block 502" section of the '99 Performance Parts catalog.

My 400 does NOT have the "straight across" bolt holes. Most mini-starters require the in-line holes.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I will look into that GM part. I found a starter today at a local shop that might work. It has the diagonal pattern, but it has a cone(what is it called on the end), this might cause a problem. I will just have to try it and see.

The guy at the shop says this starter is a new part he just got in last week. So I guess there is not much demand for these things.

Thanks for all your help guys, I let you know how it turns out

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.