Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people,just finished putting in a 355 gear ,posi drum to drum rear end,or so i thought, it is a 355 gear,did 65 at 3400 rpm and sight says it was a 355,like they said,but friend helped me with the final stages of putting in rear,and put on tires and was tighting lugs and one tire spun one way other spun other,can this happen with a posi,was still on jack stands and hadn't been on floor yet,man said it was a posi unit when i bought it, but friend says its not,what do u think?
my car is a 71 Chevelle, doner rear is a 72 Chevelle wagon rear,what's the best way to check,i am getting alot of vibration,ill flip drive shaft tomarrow,and car is alot faster,smile,thanks again,

·
Registered
263 Posts
WEll, there is two easy ways to tell, lay a long patch of tire and see if you get one or two. Or, jack it back up have your friend hold one wheel and you hold the other. Turn them forward and if the wheel he is hold wants to go backwards its non posi. If the wheel he is holding goes forward while you turn yours then it is a posi. Sounds like you did it without putting pressure on the other side. If your already driving it jsut lay some rubber and see what ya get.

------------------
Brad Guichard
1966 Nova Super Sport 388 Th350
66 Nova pic
1966 Chevelle 350 TH350
66 Chevelle pic
1957 Chevy 210 ZZ4 700R4 Ford 9" 3.89
57 Chevy pic

[This message has been edited by 66chevyIISS (edited 12-10-2001).]

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Chris taught me how to check

Turn the steering wheel the whole way to any side you want, Step on the gas hard.
If the car turns and maked a "donut", You have a Posi.
If the car wont do a donut, you have a non-posi.

(That is because one wheel stays in place and doesn't let your car to skid to the side.)

------------------
Shai

1972 Chevelle Malibu custom 4dr
Restoration started: February 10th 2001
TC member #1278

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
The only way to tell is to remove the cover and check for a clutch pack. A worn out posi will act just like an open rear. I have also seen people weld up the spider gears to make an open rear act like a posi (until it breaks). Pull the cover, I am suprised that you didnt do that before installation.

------------------
Dave
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
55/57/61 chevies
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
drptop70ss is right, pull the cover off and look at it. No matter what anyone else tells you, this is the ONLY way to be sure. I have been building rear ends for 21 years and I have been fooled by the other methods enough times to know that they don't always work. If you need a picture of a posi send me a e-mail and I will e-mail a picture back.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 Pro Street
427 4 speed 9"
Byars Performance
High Performance Drivetrain Parts & Service
www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead

·
Registered
35 Posts
hey there
i had the same thing happen to me but when i took it off the jackstands and locked em up both tires spun and painted some rubber on the garage floor, i think it could be worn. the others are right though, take the cover off and check thats the only surefire way to know.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dpinthec:
hey there
i had the same thing happen to me but when i took it off the jackstands and locked em up both tires spun and painted some rubber on the garage floor, i think it could be worn. the others are right though, take the cover off and check that's the only surefire way to know.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey thanks,u guys have been a great help,will pull cover today and check,car is alot faster now,and when hit 2nd it cherped both tires,hope that's a good sign,as to when i pull the cover,also speedometer is like 100 miles-a-hour now at 65,so what do i need, put new part in Trans,what do you think?

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ratlover:
I still like Shai's way

Philip
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's how i found out I have a posi.
I did one 360 and it was enough for me!

------------------
Shai

1972 Chevelle Malibu custom 4dr
Restoration started: February 10th 2001
TC member #1278

[This message has been edited by ChaosMalibu (edited 12-11-2001).]

·
Registered
982 Posts
Donuts or no Donuts, im with Dave and the gear head.

You will only know for sure when you look inside.

My posi is tired....it could easily fool someone for an open diff from time to time

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yes but its best to try the donut test in addition to pulling the cover....as a way to do as scientific and varied testing and examination as possible
thats what you tell the cops anyway

·
Registered
214 Posts
oh...and so I'm not just spouting stupid remarks into this post. The yanking the cover method is the most accurate(only accurate) way to determine what you have albiet not very fun. And you will need a part in your trany..... a good trany shop should have the gears and be able to hook you up to get your speedo back to accurate. A very cheap fix congrats on the new cogs

·
Registered
287 Posts
What size tires are you running? You might want to count the ring and pinion gears when you have the cover off. Unless you have 24" tires, 3400 rpm at 65 is too much for 3.55's. Sounds like 4.11's if you have 27-28" tires.

------------------
70 Chevelle 15.01 @96
67 Camaro street strip 11.63 @117.6
67 Camaro daily driver 12.10 @110.6, best MPH 112.96
www.geocities.com/lonnie67_1966

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lonnie67:
What size tires are you running? You might want to count the ring and pinion gears when you have the cover off. Unless you have 24" tires, 3400 rpm at 65 is too much for 3.55's. Sounds like 4.11's if you have 27-28" tires.

Hey Lonnie67,the tires are 25 in,and when i was being clocked i was behind person,was rush hour,so couldn't get beside him,but gonna ck tomorrow ,when rain stops,was close to 65 though,

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
If you pull the cover and discover it is a posi unit, don't forget that the oil requirements are different than just straight gear oil.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.