Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably a lot of us have wanted to own the proverbial "Corvette". I have a chance to trade my 'camino for a really nice 38,000 (documented miles) 'vette. Not the most desirable year, it is a 75. We took the rubber bumpers off and put on nice fiberglass repro (shaped exactly the same) bumpers and it has a nice new paint job, other than that it is absolutely original. I have watched the car for the last 20 years, it is as pristine as they come...probably not a single nut/bolt/fitting....ect part on it. Will probably need some work from its limited use....cooling system refresh, replace the orig hoses/belts/t-stat and some fluids....maybe even new rear axle u-joints. It is just a more practical car for me than the pretty much "show" only 'camino. Everyone thinks I've lost my marbles on this one..........HELP!!!!

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
If it is what you want and you have factored in all the pro's and con's then go ahead and and make the trade. Your opinion is the only one that matters.

Steve R.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the forum referral, I'll try and post a question about the price/value on this car. I probably wouldn't touch it, but it is really a 1 owner 38k all original car. not the most desirable year, but it is a way to get a 'vette....I like small blocks better plus the t-tops are cool......

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Do it and enjoy it. The '75 Vette's may not have the following of the earlier years, but it sure drove (ride quality) whole bunches better than anything older. Plus, the only person you need to be concerned about pleasing is yourself, don't bother trying to please "other people" (because we don't have to live with the automotive choices you make like you do).

Many people automatically make the assumption that because you own an SS that you would never be satisfied with a lower performance car. But the truth that is revealed at most any cruise event is that the majority of owners, while proud of any performance heritage their car may have, own their particular vehicle mostly because they "just like the way it looks".

Oh yeah, the number of postings on the CorvetteForum will blow your mind - and you will occaisionally find Team Chevelle members (like me) on that board.

------------------
"Bomber" '67 El Camino, Beater comes back to life.
Was 350/TH350 14.90 @ 93mph, 360,000+ miles on car
Now 406 roller, 340rwhp, more hp coming, 3.08 gears
Street radials, left in drive, 13.20 [email protected] mph
*New* added Plum Mist '67 to collection

·
Registered
41 Posts
75 wasn't that great. I just watched a show on Vettes. Starting 73-97 they all ranged from 180hp - 250hp. From 73-81 they were real slow and heavy. But it's your choice.

------------------
1971 Chevy Chevelle w/ 305 Small Block
"If yellow stands for high preformace, why the hell did I leave tred marks on that school bus?"
"John_Muha - I send my wife out to beat them up with her Vette. Hate having my Happy Hour disturbed."
AIM: Digital Biterate
My Site

G

·
Digital Biterate

You are a little off base on your info about HP and the years.

In 1992 GM brought back the LT-1 and it was rated at 300 HP. From there up all it did was increase.

I know the 73 vettes were available with the L82 engine and it ran strong, not like the 70 Lt-1 but a lot stronger than the 75 models.

Corvettes produced between 75 and 82 are for the most part not very remarkable and tend to be the best deal for entry level into owning a vette. The rubber bumper covers are ugly on a good day and the wussie motor turns most people off.

But, having said all that, they handle light speed better than any Chevelle ever made, the have near perfect weight distribution, I think all have most of the creature comforts and even the ugly rubber bumper cars look good, after all it is a corvette!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just remember, 1975 was the first year for cat. converter cars. Make sure it is up to passing emmisions in your state. Old Vettes rattle, creak, they are hot in the summer and cold in the winter. But..I really enjoyed my '65 and everybody (whether they admit it or not) wants one!

------------------
68 Malibu B&M blown 350, TH350 with 10" converter and Gear Vendors overdrive, 12 bolt-3.90 gears
69 CST Pickup original 396, TH400 factory AC/PS/PB
99 Harley Dyna Wide Glide
91 Sportster 883- now a 1200!

·
Premium Member
28,595 Posts
Pete,I guessing by your user name that you have a 70 SS El Camino...now,this is JMO,but I WOULD NOT trade a show quality Camino(unless it was a 73 and up Camino) for a 1975 Corvette..I'm sure it's a nice car,but if you want something to drive,either sell your Camino for maximum price and buy that 'vette or look for a another car/or 'vette that is of nice driver quality.If you where trading your Camino for 68-72 'vette,well that's a different story.Believe me,you can buy a nice,clean '75 'vette thats unmolested real cheap if you look around(less than 10K)..anyone that thinks their 75 'vette is worth alot of cash is crazy..they're nice cars,but again,far from the most desirable year.I hope it's at least a 4 speed too

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS396/M21/4.10 My 70 SS396
Engine pic
1970 Chevelle SS454My 70 SS454
1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible
1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass 350 Olds,TH350(daily driver)
Chris Corwel,TC Member 785

·
Registered
20 Posts
The 75 car you describe has to be a neat ride and having only 38,000 miles makes it a very special car. These cars handle and ride well and a Clean vette captures every car enthusiast's eye. You can do the maintenance items that you described and have a fun, reliable, desireable driver from now on. If you like the paint, get on it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you want a vette, buy a vette. If you love your camino then keep it. I wouldn't trade the elky for the vette. Doesn't seem equal at all. Not even close. If it were a 60's vette then OK but 75'??? I don't even look twice at mid seventy to early eighty vettes. Never liked em'. Maybe if they had more b*lls. You know what they say about b*lls. If my aunt had em', she'd be my uncle.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Cool, Pete!

See my signature. I have been "blessed" with a 75 Vette also that I have totally "redone" or whatever you want to call it. Chevelles are still tops IMO but the Corvette is in another league.

True, 1975 was not the best year for GM but with a few mods it can be a great car. The most complaints I have are the way the body parts fit. The T-tops leak/squeak, the doors rattle and the side/door windows don't seal properly around the weatherstripping.

They are hard to work on. I'm on the big side and I can't get my shoulder under the car. And who ever thought of the power steering system on C3's ought to be shot. Maybe they had their reasons but they could have made the PS system more simple, at least done away with the power valve.

I have replaced the anemic 5.5HP Briggs and Stratton engine with a 396/425. Talk about a sleeper. I also installed stainless steel calipers, HD u-joints at the driveshaft and half-shafts. A blast to drive. Just flip the wrist and it turns like it's on rails.

I would recommend not getting rid of the El Camino. Try to keep it along with Vette. You will feel fortunate, as I do, to have two of the best muscle cars ever made.

------------------
-Mark
TC# 717
ACES #1641
1967 Chevelle SS396/375
1967 RailVelle(Parting out)
1964 Chevelle 283/195
1975 Corvette 396/425
Rat Garage

·
Registered
714 Posts
My $.02. Had 5 Vettes in my past and loved every one of them. I am no expert on prices anymore but I am pretty sure that 75 Vette has maybe an $8000.00 value and that is based on cleanlinsess described, and the low mileage and assuming it is an L48 Car and not an L82 motor. I think the 75 was the lowest point in HP ratings of the Vettes so that makes this year low on the desireability list. But having said that...it is still a Vette.

What is the value of the Camino? If it is more than 7-8K than the the decision seems easy. Now, if the person you are trading with will make up the difference in cash than like I said... it is still a Vette and very
cruizer.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
you ARE nutts, those vettes are 1) slow 2)UGLY 3)money pits 4)get NO looks 5)not the best year if you want a "vette"

if you wanna vette (i think we all did and i've had 2) just get either the newer style or the pre-68 style, everything else sucks. i sold my 91 to get my current Velle, i haven't regreted it once.

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
GOLD Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
Big Block Chevy.net
proud owner of this site
(OO=ss=OO)

·
Registered
64 Posts
chev hell, calm down. my brother owns a 76' vette and i think it looks cool. it has about 350 hp and is going to have a 700-r4 soon. so its not weak like stock vettes. and i noticed how you excluded the 69-74 vettes. '69 was the highest HP year for vettes, and they look cool
i dont personally like the rubberbumber on 75+ but its not UGLY.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow, what a bunch of losers. Vette envy if I ever saw it. The '75 is definately a cool year for Vettes, before that ridiculous hatchback design. Drop a decent cam in that '75 and youll have tons of fun. Cornering in one of these cars is better than a roller coaster. A '75 Vette with 38,000 original miles is worth ONE HELL OF A LOT MORE THAN 8,000 BUCKS! (whoever said that is a total ignoramous) One more point; you'll get 1,000 times the looks from women in this Vette than from driving your Camino around - not the biggest issue here but worth considering.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cablguy:
Wow, what a bunch of losers. Vette envy if I ever saw it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chill Cguy, need a brew, come on over. I'm buying.
We'll all here to help each other out when someone has a question.
Vette envy is hardly the case. Hate to see another who has what and who can afford what post.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Personally I'd keep the El Camino over a 75 Vette. Everybody wants a survivor car, just make sure it's something you will cherish and your not just buying it because it has low miles.

As far as the name calling from the above postee. I can do without that. Just state your opinion, everybody is entitled to one.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.