Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy a mig welder to finish the trunck and floor pans in my 71 SS. Do i need a mig with the gas cylinder or can i find a budget model without gas that will work ok.

·
Registered
37 Posts
IF YOU DIG AROUND YOU WILL FIND OTHER POST ON THISSUBJECT
I SELL WELDERS FOR A LIVING SO I'M A SELF APPOINTED EXPERT
YOU DEFINATLY NEED GAS, PREFERABLY 75%ARGON/25%CO2 YOU CAN GET BY WITH STRAIGHT CO2 BUT IT DRASTICALLY CHANGES THE CHARACTER OF YOUR ARC (HARSHER ARC MORE SPATTER)
AS FAR AS BUYING A WELDER A GOOD 110 VOLT WELDER WILL DO EVERYTHING YOU NEED I PERSONALLY HAVE THE HOBART HANDLER WHICH DOES AN EXELLENT JOB. THE THING ABOUT WLDERS IS LIKE ANYTHING ELSE YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. I THINK YOU SHOULD STICK WITH A NAME BRAND MILLER, HOBART, OR LINCOLN. NOT SAYING THE CHEAPIES DONT WORK BUT I CANT TELL YOU HOW MANY TIMES I'VE HAD PEOPLE CALL MY STORE UNHAPPY WITH THEIR MAILORDER CHEAP WELDER.
LINCOLN MAKES TWO TYPE 110 WELDERS THE ONE IN THE HARDWARE STORES ARE NOT THE SAME QUALITY AS THE ONES IN THE WELDING SUPPLY STORES. IF IN DOUBT WEIGHT IS THE DETERMINING FACTOR, THE HEVIER THE BETTER
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUETIONS OR NEED HELP E-MAIL ME
[email protected]

·
Registered
37 Posts
Radd,
I agree with everything Racer70 said and would like to add one thing. If you buy one of the name brands (Miller, Lincoln) you can run them either way, gas or gasless. The machine is the same. To run gasless, you buy flux core wire. To set it up for gas just get the tank and regulator, switch to solid wire and your ready to go.
Solid wire/gas gives a cleaner weld, but doesn't work well ouside because the wind blows the gas away. Switch to gasless for outside, works fine.
GaryR

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input, I had a chance to see a couple, have not bought yet. I have a question about an CLARK 100E that i saw at an industrial supply store. $400 with bottles. Should i go for it or look at some by Miller or Lincoln.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have the large Miller and a smaller Milller gas units at work. They work great. I needed somthing small at home to do panel repair. Have the Lincolin cracker box but to much burn through. I bought the Campbell/Hausfeld Flux Core 80 to try out as it is 110 volts and at about 200 dollars. Works great for the small stuff.

·
Registered
13,036 Posts
Definately go with gas. I don't sell welders, I use them all day long at work. A cheap welder will work, but not as long as a good one. When comparing welders, look at the duty cycle. The higher, the better. I recommend Lincoln's SP125 plus. They run about $750. Not bad for 110 volt. I have a Snap-on 110 volt welder that I use in my garage at home. I've had it since 1990 and it has never skipped a beat.
What ever you buy, be sure to get some extra tips and cones. The tips will wear, and that will make the welder not weld as well. Also make sure to keep the tip tight.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
You can rent gas bottles rather than buying them. I pay $6.00 a month rent on the largest bottle. A small one is less. This doesn't include the gas. Argon/CO2 is the way to go.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I know, this is a WAY old post!!!!

I'm looking at everything for a year back.

But having welded most of today with a Miller 180 XP, and having a little Miller 130 110v at home with flux core for outside work.... I definately prefer gas.!!! The Millers are great but... That 1-2-3-4 position heat switch is bothersome, as most things I do fall between 1 and 2.

Otherwise welding is cool (if you don't do it for a living!!)

Dave H.
Houston

·
Gold Founding Member
1,349 Posts
I agree with Racer 70 get the gas. I have a lincoln that was purchased at one of the larger chain home improvement stores. I didn`t know they we`re different when I bought it. It is a 220 one I also would get one through a welding supply house . I think they would be better to deal with if you have a problem . I had to get a small mig for work it was between the Hobart handler + the Miller the sales guy pushed the Handler the old timer who does repairs there talked me into the miller 2 years later no problems hopes this helps Mike

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have an Italian 110 volt mig welder, gas or gasless. I use it with the 75/25 mix gas, and won't do it any other way anymore. The gas and solid wire is just way better than the flux core wire, welds are nicer, cleaner and seem to get optimum penetration and strength.

Flux core wire doesn't do nearly as well.

Go gas, get a nice unit, you'll be happier.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.