Team Chevelle banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Hi Mike

Assuming it is a non bow type headliner which
I think it is..There is only one way and thats to replace the headliner material. Its
sh**t simple and if your interested in doing
it drop me an email and I can give you some
detailed instructions.

------------------
best regards
Importtech

68 chevelle

http://home.hot.rr.com/importtech/public_html/project.htm

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,651 Posts
If you want a quick and dirty fix for a beater, some people have used the curled pins like are used for armrest covers on sofas. Stick a bunch of them up there to hold it up. You didn't hear this from me.

------------------
von '69 300 Dlx SS TC #15 ACES #1575 HSCA #5
My '69 SS

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
I have taken down a couple of these and tried using spray contact cement to fix them and it didnt work, still fell back down. I sure would like to know what the correct cement is for keeping the material on the backer board.

------------------
Dave
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
68/72 chevelles
55/57/61 chevies
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drptop70ss:
I have taken down a couple of these and tried using spray contact cement to fix them and it didnt work, still fell back down. I sure would like to know what the correct cement is for keeping the material on the backer board.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DT
Your right it it wont. The problem is that the foam backing deteriorates..The only correct way to repair the headliner is to remove the board, scrape off ALL the old foam
and glue on new headliner material..Its really easy. The best glue is landau top but
you might get away with 3M headliner spray glue but landau glue is the best. The KEY is
to scrape off the old foam. The glue is not
what is turning loose. I've done LOTS of the
headliners and there's not much magic involved. Just don't tell that to anyone outside the forum

------------------
best regards
Importtech

68 chevelle

my webpage
Dad's Place

·
Registered
220 Posts
I had the same problem on an 85 monte carlo ss I used 3M #77 spray adhesivewith headliner still in car reach in as far as you can spray the material and then the foam work from center out smoothing it and it held for at least 2 yrs til i sold the car. Just becareful that stuff (overspray) gets EVERYWHERE and its a REAL P.I.T.A. to get off. Hope this helpos you.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,651 Posts
Importtech is right on. I had to do it twice in an '88 Chevy truck. Second time scraped and rubbed all the dried and crumbled foam rubber off before glueing and it held.

------------------
von '69 300 Dlx SS TC #15 ACES #1575 HSCA #5
My '69 SS

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Not to sound like smart#ss or anything, but there are scores of places that repair these, and most are dirt cheap. I see them advertised in the yellow pages all the time. If you have a favorite mechanic or bodyman, they should be able to recommend someone. Most places around here will fix those for under a $100.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts