Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Firstly.....let me say that "I don't know if there's any truth to this" but...
it has been suggested to me(by a former co-worker that stores cars in his barn) that mice don't like those fabric softener sheets that you put in the clothes drier.Suggested placing several in the cars interior when stored.
Certainly don't cost much...

·
Registered
85 Posts
There is something they like that they shouldn't and that is rat poison. I had a whole gang of mice take over my barn last year and they ate the wires on 2 atv's a lawnmower and ate a hole in my 01 cobra conv top (sorry about the Ford thing, I am working on this weakness). I bought a bucket (with a bunch of little poackages) from tractor supply and pour or place it once a month in a few locations and no mice to speak of. I was setting 15 traps a night which got old pretty quick, the poison is the deal for long term protection.

If you are feeling really sadisitc (like maybe after they ate something of yours you worked hard for) you can place a 5 gallon bucket of water near a wall and they will seek it out and fall in and drown. The poison makes them real thirsty, in addition to drowning them the water has the added benefit of accelerating the effect of the poison while they are drowning!

·
Registered
13 Posts
when i store my car during winter i place moth balls in small pie pans in various places (trunk,under front seat,on air cleaner)through the car to keep the rodents out,also place pie pans with charcoal beside the moth balls to draw the moisture out of the air.read about this years ago in some car magzine and it seems to work.

·
Registered
14,618 Posts
thing about poison is, the mouse has a tendency to die in the most inopertune places, such as a heater duct, inside the seat, etc. and tends to stink up the car. my garage was infested, I deconned them, back yard stunk for a week. Jim

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
when i store my car during winter i place moth balls in small pie pans in various places (trunk,under front seat,on air cleaner)through the car to keep the rodents out,also place pie pans with charcoal beside the moth balls to draw the moisture out of the air.read about this years ago in some car magzine and it seems to work.
I use moth balls as well. I usually just sprinkle a box of them all the way around the outside of the car on the ground. Never have any probs.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I didn't know charcoal would absorb water if so it's not much a better solution is what I use in my tackle box to keep hooks from rusting and it is to take some old pantie hose cut the foot off and fill it with kitty litter or oil dry and tie a knot in it they are both silica absorbents and store them that will keep it good and dry.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
I didn't know charcoal would absorb water if so it's not much a better solution is what I use in my tackle box to keep hooks from rusting and it is to take some old pantie hose cut the foot off and fill it with kitty litter or oil dry and tie a knot in it they are both silica absorbents and store them that will keep it good and dry.
I know charcoal absorbs scent. Most of the scent lock suits that hunters use are charcoal lined from what I've read. Also, I THINK the military used charcoal in their chemical suits...

·
Registered
261 Posts
After finding about 40lbs of corn, dog food, and hay seed from the field not 20ft from my garage in the backseat of my car, I got serious about the little rats. They literally had all of the stuffing in the bottom cushion eaten out, but you couldn't tell from the outside. I went to remove it and thought, man this thing is heavy. I filled a 5 gallon shop vac 5 times easily with all of the stuff they had stored in there. I even vacced up about 6 baby mice, that were wriggling around in nests in the seat. Anyway, I couldn't poison them because I didn't want them dying in my yard or the garage, because the dog would eat them for sure and probably die, and I didn't want them rotting in my vents etc. I'm in mid resto so luckily pulling all the interior out wasnt a problem, but this should work for you too. I put 2 mousetraps in the floorpan of my car once the interior was out baited with peanut butter. The first night I did it after I got the int out, I checked on them 1 hour after I set them. Both had a mouse. 3 hours later, both had mice. I did this for about a week and trapped 19 mice out of the floorpan of my car, which had no wheels and was up on jackstands all around, a good 20" off the floor, the only way for them to get up to it was to climb the jackstands straight up to the frame or axle... Anyway, I don't seem to have the problem anymore, but I would think if you put some traps on the floors around the car, maybe under it, it should keep them distracted or too dead to get in!

·
Premium Member
9,919 Posts
I like to use things called 'mice cubes'. A little see thru plastic box that you bait with a small cracker & peanut butter on the inside.

Once the mouse goes in A door closes behind them & they're trapped.

now here is the fun part. these are designed so the mice are alive and can be set free! YA RIGHT! not on my watch.

I fill them with water & leave outside until they drown or freeze!

little s.o.b's

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hello, guys my wifes 2004 Dale Jr. Monte had a mouse problem. A farmer told me to use peppermint oil, not extract. On a cotton ball placed in side an old nylon stocking, you can get one from your wife. Soak the cotton ball with the OIL place in stocking hang in car. It worked no more mice smells better than moth balls. Good luck
Gary

1 - 20 of 44 Posts