Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my hands on some junkyard swaybars for my car. Obviously they need to be cleaned. I hesitate sandblasting since they are high carbon steel (spring steel) and therefore hardenable. I am worried that blasting them would work harden the surface and make them brittle. Thoughts??

------------------
Dave Vanderputten
1970 Malibu 307/M20 4-speed/3.08
(Eternally in progress)
TC GOLD #867
ACES# 3967
http://daves70.freeservers.com

The law of inanimate reproduction: If you take something apart and put it back together enough times, you will eventually have enough parts to make two.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I doubt you would harden them by blasting them.Most heat treaters heat the parts to about 1400 degrees for about 1/2 hour or so then anneal them the following day after they have cooled.I doubt blasting will get that hot.

------------------
John 67SS
ACES #2887
Team Chevelle Gold #127

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't think it would make a difference, but just to be safe, why not use some engine degreaser on them and sand them by hand. Have you heard of Greased Lightning cleaner, Lowe's sells it and this stuff works wonders. If you can't get that try some oven cleaner, works wonders also.

------------------
73 Chevelle SS 454
75 Camaro 355
64 VW/ Powered by Chevy

"There is no such thing as too much cam, just not enough engine"

·
Registered
26 Posts
Daves70,

From someone who in the past forged custom cutlery as a hobby, I think I can speak with certainty when I say, "You are NOT going to hurt that steel when you sand blast it". It's probably 5160H spring steel anyway, tough stuff.

Hope this helped.

Argus

·
wagons rule!
3,249 Posts
you will not hurt it by sand blasting it. the modulus of elasticity "E" also known as Young's modulus, is the ratio of unit stress to unit strain within the proportional limit of the material in tension or compression. virtually all steels have a Young's modulus of 29,000,000 psi. you are not going to effect that. I don't think swaybars are made of spring steel even though spring steel has a higher yield strength then mild steel which means it has an ability to deflect further with out permanent deflection. it is not necessary to use it because you don't twist a bar to it's yield limits. so because of the 29 million psi modulus, all swaybars made of any kind of steel will offer the same anti sway properties PROPORTIONAL to there thickness regardless of the type of steel. I know this may be hard to swallow.

------------------
1970 Chevelle 454 Wagons haul A$$ in style! "The Chopped Suburban". to see some goto
www.EINSTYN.com FO_FDYFO = four-fifty four! TC#1460, VCEA#2

·
Registered
135 Posts
Young's Modulus? I saw them open for Strawberry Alarm Clock in '67. I thought they broke up?
Wait a minute... I'm... CHOKING...

------------------
The ongoing saga of the MALIBRUISER 70 SS fake
MALIBRUISER

[This message has been edited by hoffman7476 (edited 12-17-2001).]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Daves 70 & FO-FDYFO,

FO, I didn't expect someone to come up with quite so technical an answer, although it was very informative. I guess I should have stated my case better.

To my knowledge sway bars are made out of what would be considered HIGH CARBON steel.
(steel having up to 1% carbon content)
I don't believe they use mild steel as a component for sway bars.

If high carbon steel is heated, quenched and annealed properly and falls, if I remember correctly, between 48-52 on the Rockwell "C" scale when it is finished, it is considered Spring Steel.

Most mass produced sway bars are 4140 steel, Aftermarket bars are 1045 steel, both of which are considered high carbon. The 1045 steel just ends up with a better finish on it.

5160H is used for springs on most GM products and I must apologize for using the wrong numerical description in my previous post. "Senior moment I guess?"

Argus

·
wagons rule!
3,249 Posts
Argus, agreed.
but I was not suggesting they were mild steel I was giving it as an example. I have no idea of what material they used for swaybars. the requirement for material hardness is proportional to the amount in which the bar twists. the bar has to be able to deflect as far as the suspension allows and return to its normal state (not go beyond its yield strength). any hardness beyond that is overkill and I would think that the factories would make it as cheep as possible. I don't think on a 4k lb car), something with 48-52 RHC (yield 200kpsi plus) would be required. I would figure about half that. I would be curious to know what material & heat treating if any they used though. hoffman7476 is choking again

------------------
1970 Chevelle 454 Wagons haul A$$ in style! "The Chopped Suburban". to see some goto
www.EINSTYN.com FO_FDYFO = four-fifty four! TC#1460, VCEA#2

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.