Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please tell me the correct color (Black) to use on my glovebox, metal part of dash and steering wheel housing? I believe it is gloss or semi-gloss. The car is a 69SS. Thanks

[This message has been edited by Terry (edited 06-08-99).]

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've seen gloss, semi-gloss, and flat black used on the dash. I recently had the dash of my '69 painted and the guy used a satin black. Sorry I don't know the brand, P/N, or anything else about the color, but I think you get the drift. Gloss and flat just look odd to me - but to each his own.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I saw somewhere on a post not too long ago in the body section i think it was, that the satin black can be obtained from Home Depot.
I'm pretty sure Eastwood carries the semi gloss.

I'm with Fred, I'm pretty sure that semi gloss is the correct "restoration" color, although it's your car, so it's your choice in the long run

Tony

[This message has been edited by Ox68 (edited 06-08-99).]

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Terry,
I have two original chevelles and both have a semi-gloss color on the dashes, one green and one red. According to my PPG/Ditzler paint chart for 69 Chevrolet, they list two different low gloss paints for you components in question. For the "Upper instrument panel (exposed areas)", use Ditzler paint coded 9317, they call it an "O" gloss (flat). This is the area between your dash pad and windshield. For your other parts in question (glove box, steering column) they call for ditzler code 9266 which is supposed to be a low gloss color. I am not a paint expert by any means, but I'm sure that if these exact paints are not available there will be a cross reference. As you are probably aware, there are a wide range of gloss levels, bottom line if you don't want to spend too much time trying to figure this out, use a semi-gloss black on everything below the dash pad and something a little flatter between the dash pad and windshield. Hope this helps. Woj

P.S. If you want to make it really look authentic, throw in a couple of runs.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks All! I am going to paint it semi-gloss.

Woj, I don't know if you are joking about the paint run, but my glove box has a run on it now. I don't believe it has ever been repainted.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
No joke about the paint runs, I have a 69 SS and a 69 Malibu, both are original and have runs in them. The SS worse than the Malibu. Neither looks bad but I just want you to know that the factory was far from perfect. You should see the air-cleaner on the SS. It has nothing but runs, but once again it looks just fine. Hope the info is useful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.