Team Chevelle banner

MEEK 66

Tags
#meek66
2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Meek66 
#1 ·
Howdy, I finally decided to be a little bit more diligent in documenting the work I’ve been doing. I figure it’ll help me stay organized and hopefully members with more experience than me can chime in from time to time.
The car - 66 resto-custo-mod has a sbc 350, TH350, Currie 9”, looks good and sounds good... at first glance. She has good bones but needs a heap of work to be a solid and safe car. She was born a six cylinder Malibu. For the most part she is a constant mystery.
Me - I’m a refugee from Paradise, CA living in Chico, CA. Picked up MEEK in Bakersfield, CA which is fitting because that w I grew up.

I’ve had the car for a little over a year and haven’t had much time to really get to know it until recently and thus begins my story of converting her from just a car that looks and sounds good into head turner no matter how close you look.

I’ve recently put several irons in the fire so my current projects are rewiring it from bumper to bumper, updating the water pump and alternator, and putting the demon back on it. Here’s a glimpse of the mess I had with wiring. And a bonus picture of one of the many reasons the previous owner had no business owning her. Anyone see the problem(s)? 🤦🏻‍♂️

See less See more
#2 ·
A bit of a heads up for anyone considering a Innovators West harmonic balancer for your gen 1 sbc. I must admit they are an impressive piece. I wish it would have worked. Unless your timing cover can accommodate the design it’s a no go. The back side is not concave like the oem design. I had to return it. Kudos to Summit for being so easy to work with. I ended up going with Summits 8”. Also, despite what reviews say on Summit for Holley’s cast aluminum timing cover, the 8” balancer is the correct size if you want to use the built in pointer.

#5 ·
Rebuilding a BG Speed Demon 750 w/ vac secondaries.

Took me a couple weeks to get this done and I have yet to put it on its throne.
A few things to consider for anyone who is looking to rebuild the same carb or similar.

The rebuild kits that are available for these are more for a Holley than a Demon so there are a few things that you need to source on your own. First is the four corner idle adjustment. Kits only come with two o rings rather than 4. The kit also doesn’t have the o ring that goes to the access port for the vac secondaries spring. Kit came with a 6.5 power valve but I needed a 4.5. After a lot of elbow grease it looks new. Looking at it next to the Holley Street Avenger 770 it definitely looks like it will flow a lot better.

#7 ·
This slippery slope started with the alternator giving up the ghost. I purchased a MSD 130 amp unit. The bench cert that came with it shows it actually makes 106 amps at 2400 and 158 amps at 7500.
The March Performance pulley/bracket system that was already on the engine has worked out really well. I must also say that their customer service has been very helpful. I spoke with them when I was sorting out the Innovators West balancer fitment issue.

#13 ·
I replaced the intake manifold gaskets and cleaned up the intake. I ended up using Fel-pro 1205S-3. It’ll block off the exhaust crossover. I screwed up and inadvertently had my torque wrench set to 45 lbs when I reinstalled the manifold. Fortunately only one bolt stripped. I used a Helicoil to repair it and then reinstalled it. This time I waited until after I was done to enjoy a couple fingers of whiskey.

#14 ·
I replaced the intake manifold gaskets and cleaned up the intake. I ended up using Fel-pro 1205S-3. It’ll block off the exhaust crossover. I screwed up and inadvertently had my torque wrench set to 45 lbs when I reinstalled the manifold. Fortunately only one bolt stripped. I used a Helicoil to repair it and then reinstalled it. This time I waited until after I was done to enjoy a couple fingers of whiskey.
View attachment 699749
You're coming along nicely. That carb looks like a jewel.

My neighbor came over to borrow my torque wrench to install his timing chain. I asked him if he knew how to set and use it. He said sure, no problem. Piece of cake. He came back 10 minutes later and I had to remove 2 broken bolts from the cam. He expected the torque wrench to freewheel when it hit set torque. :ROFLMAO:

That harness looks like the Chinese dinner I just ate.:eek:

What's the story on the spark plugs?

#15 ·
My original harness looked like yours as well. I swear every owner must have had some necessary “accessories “ to install. I ripped mine out and put in a Painless harness. It was a learning experience I’d recommend staying away from.

Devin

#16 ·
Stripped the interior and took it down to the bare metal. I found a few rusted areas along the electrical ribbon groove. I rattle canned all the exposed metal with primer/sealer. I then put a 80 mil Butyl. I used kilmat which was significantly cheaper than the name brand options. Seemed to go on pretty well. Along the firewall, tranny bell, and passenger/driver foot wells I have put a layer of Noico thermal insulation. I’m really bad about taking pictures along the way... oh well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.