Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ready to buy a set of Auto Meter guages. How do you guys feel about electric or mechanical? Is one more accurate than the other? Tried a search on this and came up empty. So, your thoughts would help. Thanks in advance.
Grover

·
Registered
33 Posts
FWIW
mechanical guages will usually have more sweep to the guage, but there more of a pain to install.

I don't think there are any real differences in accuracy.
Thom

·
Registered
500 Posts
I've always liked mechanical gauges for the larger sweep. Autometer does have a small selection of full sweep electrical gauges though. They are a little more expensive however.

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
One things for sure, with electrical gauges you will never have an oil line break and pump hot oil all over your carpet. I caught mine befor it broke, noticed a drip at the back of the gauge. The line was starting to stress fracture. I now have Stewart Warner electrical gauges and you can get them with what ever sweep you want.

Rocky

·
Registered
318 Posts
I personally love electric gauges - you can install them in a harness fashion and only have one plug to pull when you need to pull your dash bezel out. Plus, they are MUCH easier to install and replace should you ever have a problem with them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts