Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was mess with the center line day. Leveled the car out on stands, and plumbed the 4 corners yada, yada. The damper bolt is almost dead center, the output shaft is 1/2" driver of center. The pinion is 7/8" passenger side of center. the axle housing flanges left & right are equal to center, axle to fender lip is 1/8 of an inch difference side to side. So one of my least favorite jobs, slack the engine frame stands. GRRRR. So I have tension on the tail shaft housing now, and you could feel things shift over. I'm not sure with the amount of tension I have on the ratchet strap when I tighten the stands, there may still be a shift back. I would like to not compound the pinion offset as much as possible. We'll see if the trans mount can be centered here. Today's pics....Crank(the line got fuzzy during the day), output, correction. Tomorrow I need to figure out the cross member mounting. If I'm doing anything wrong, or could do something better please let me know.

·
Premium Member
9,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Moved the stock frame mounts to get the transmission aligned after a consultation, and welded them in place. the motor dropped in, bolts went right in trans/crank bolt are now centered.

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
Not going to use a motor plate and a mid plate?

·
Premium Member
9,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am going to use a front plate. First reason was for the 1/4" spacer I needed for the Jessel belt drive, next was for the vacuum pump. As of now I had not intended to run a mid plate. My headers were close before on the driver side, need to put them in now to see where I'm at there.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Dumb question here, it's ok to run just a front plate?

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Dan, I am the cave man doing it. Jarad it would probably be better with front, mid plates, and limiters, but the people I have talked to did not make a big fuss over it. The primary reason I believe is to not have bore distortion at the motor mount. So a front plate should help that, I am not posting this as gospel at all.

·
Premium Member
8,110 Posts
Good post Mike. On my list to do before new engine goes in what did you use as a reference for crank bolt center

·
Premium Member
9,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have any pulleys on yet, and a 12 point damper bolt, just use one point that was at top center, and passed the bubble level. Hoping that is accurate enough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts