Team Chevelle banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone..
Couple of days ago, I posted about trying to figure out the amps of my alternator from the part number. It has come to my attention its a remanufactured unit, and that they would use the housing from anything, since it really didn't matter (would explain why the part stamping was so faint).
Anyway, its a 78A "or better," GM remanufactured. I am going to throw in a windstar or mark VIII fan in there with all the electrics and I need to know if I currently have enough amps.
Is there a way I can get the alternator tested to see its output? Are there any numbers I *need* to see, like at idle, or ?
I run all normal electrics, big stereo, the computer for a few little things..
I know nothing about electrics! after I got shocked from the top of my ignition coil by accident (ever seen a blue streak of electricty jump 1.5"?), I've given up ;D

Marv

·
Registered
59 Posts
Take car to someone that has a vat tester( volt/amp tester) and have them check it out for you.Some stores that sell batteries have this tool and 'maybe'you can get them to check your charging system for a few bucks.Heck if they think the car is cool and they don't appear busy they might even check it for free.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts