Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checked oil today and dipstick had white "stuff" on it. Weird, not like water but like mayonase. Pulled valve cover and this white stuff was all over the inside. It almost looks like white lithum grease. Engine has around 1000 miles on it. Bought it from a one man crate engine outfit, Stroker Engine. Is it a head gasket or is it lithium grease from the build? Scared to death!!!!!! Engine runs GREAT. Hope it is something small or rather nothing at all. Anyone seen this before? Thanks Brian

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
The "mayonaise" looking stuff is water mixed with oil. Fix it quickly, as antifreeze WILL wipe out all of your bearings in a very short time.

·
Premium Member
9,919 Posts
might just be condensation though

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts
Most performance engines will do this when driven in the winter months. If you have not driven the car on a long trip or allowed the engine fully warm up for a good long time the film will build up from condensation. If the oil looked good with exception of the "Mayo" you should be okay. It will go away once the weather changes.

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
You are probably safe. My harley did the same thing when I checked the oil the other day. Drove it for about an hour. Nothing wrong. It is very cold at night and nice during the day. It is just condensation on the dip stick itself from the temp extremes. Wiped it all off, freaked me out at first, and rechecked and everything was ok. Hopefully yours is the same.
Herbie

·
Registered
18,902 Posts
if your radiator is still full, then it's just condensation in the oil.
take it for a long drive at highway speeds and get that sucker up to temp for a couple of hours.
problem solved.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Mine did the same thing, The oil was fine, same with the water and rockers.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Cold days and/or letting it sit for extended periods without driving does the same to mine. Soon as I start driving it regularly it goes away. Other than looking nasty, I have'nt had any issues. :)

·
Gold Founding Member
10,970 Posts
Does the PCV system work properly?

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Make sure you change the filter at least efvdery oil change, even more often. When we open my buddy's 454 it had condensation in the VC's. Didn't worry us. But when we pulled the oil filter and drained it prior to disposal, it had a 1/2 inch of water in the bottom. That's the water that was trapped on start-up and warm ups.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
If you run anti-freeze in your engine, the easiest way to tell where the "mayo" came from is to taste it.

Dip your finger in it and dab it on your tongue. Antifreeze has a very distinct, pungent "sweet" taste that does not change, even if it is dripping out a tailpipe. You'll know the taste immediately from even the smallest amount. If it tastes sweet, water/antifreeze is getting into the oil from somewhere like a bad head gasket, crack in head or block, etc.

If it is just condensation, it will just taste bland and oily. Nothing to worry about. Just heat up the motor more when you drive it or drive it for longer periods.

This works for water and steam coming out of the tailpipes or anywhere else, too.

Randy

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Awwwwww c'm on now! ;) It won't hurt ya. Just don't drink antifreeze.

We're just talking about a drop dabbed to the tip of the tongue. If it killed ya instantly, I'd have been dead 40 years ago.:)

Randy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts