Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again, this isnt about Chevelle's, but I know I can count on you all to help out. I have a friend that has a 92 Geo Metro. The problem is that the car will just die at idle like you are shutting off the key. I checked the malfunction codes and it checked good. (code 12 which means no faults) The car has about 118k on it, but has had a tune up recelty and the problem is still there. I sort of suspect the ignition switch, but when if first started doing it the engine would fight like it didnt want to die. I dont think an ignition switch would do that. The other thing is that its getting worse and worse. It started out doing it only every so often. Now it does it 3-4 times per day on the average. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Please let me know if I have left out anything that might help. Oh by the way, it seems to run pretty normal on the road, its just when its idling that it dies. Thanks in advance.

--Jerry--

[This message has been edited by Chevguy68 (edited 11-20-99).]

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I seem to think its something in the Fuel Delivery system. I would see if it is the pressure regulater, or perhaps the fuel pump itself.

------------------
Bryan Shook
Burgettstown, Pa.
1972 El Camino
www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/6673
Favorite Quote: Some people have shrinks. Some people have their garage.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Chevyguy,
Some GM C3 systems for the computer have a start circut and run if car starts and dies could be injectors get fuel via computer on start and when system goes to run fuel stops. Now even though system gives code 12 saying everything is ok I have found these to not be reliable when computer malfunctions.Hope this will help If you need more assistance let me know.

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
I would try cleaning the throttle body, but don't use carb cleaner, it might eat the coating off. Try opening it and look at the back of it and you will see that it is very nasty.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
Those who do the world's real work don't usually wear ties.

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
did you check for a vacuum leak???

this would be my first guess on a carbureted engine

pinch off vacuum lines with a pair of needle nose pliers close to point of origin and see if it resolves/improves..if so you have a vacuum leak somewhere downline from that point

but maybe on EFI cars vaccum leaks dont cause this problem since the fuel isnt mixed til just before the air charge enters the cylinder even tho it could thro the mixture calibration off since all air wouldnt be entering thru the throttle body...

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

[This message has been edited by 70 SS 454 (edited 11-20-99).]

[This message has been edited by 70 SS 454 (edited 11-20-99).]

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'm no mecahnic, and I get lost under the hoods of computer cars, but I had a Pontiac that would do that, and nobody could find out why. Turned out the Alternator was getting weak, and the electrical system had some type of self-protection in it that would shut down the car if voltage became too low. Just a thought.

------------------
Don - Chicago 'Burbs
'67 Malibu Street Machine
"Under Construction"
Gold #43
I've heard that the memory is the second thing to go.
I don't remember what the first thing is!?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Another thought is that the coil or the pickup inside the distributor are getting ready to go south on you.

If the pickup is getting a layer short in it, this will be seen when the engine is warmed, not cold, and can cause just the occurance you discribe.

An ignition coil can do the same thing, without making the engine miss at other speeds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.