Team Chevelle banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know what the max RPM would be for a stock rebuilt 69 350? It was out of a 69 Malibu 350/250 2bbl. It now has a mild cam, 4bbl, headers etc.
Thanks

·
Registered
171 Posts
Most any small block that is in good shape can wind up to 6500 rpm. The early small journal 327's had rpms that high with their two bolt main blocks and solid lifter cams. The real question is how high you need to spin your motor with it's mild cam and heads. It's hard to say what your red-line should be not knowing the profile of your cam; but around 5800 or less should be all you need to turn it. I have seen over 7000 rpm on my motor before (missed shift!).

·
Registered
12,972 Posts
The NASCAR 350s routinely turn 8500+. And I realize that they are built for this kind of rpm. But my point here is that a SB Chevy can turn this kind of rpm and stay together-----------for extended periods.
Also, the early FACTORY Fuel Injected 283s in Corvettes were very capable of 7500-8000rpm. In the old days, some guys drove their cars to the track, spent a day of racing, and drove the car back home. And the early 302 Z-28s would wind to the moon.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
165 Posts
Look on the cam card you got with the cam. It will show min rpm(point of lugging if under load), max rpm(where max hp is) and valve float along with lift and duration etc. or contact the manf. for specs. My card shows 2500 min, 5800 max and 6500 valve float. Someone set me straight if I didn't describe this correctly!

Dennis

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
had a 350,2 bolt main,flat tops,2.02 double bumps,480,288 cam,team-g holley 650 dp,mallory unilite,headers,shifted at 7200 rpm,stopped makin power.67rat member #199

[This message has been edited by 67RAT (edited 08-31-99).]

·
Registered
326 Posts
Well one way to check is to nail the gas and hold it in gear until it lays down. You can probably rev to 6500 but it might not be making good power that high. Might run out of steam at 5500. I think cam specs are a good guide but they are not specific to the rest of the combo. You just have to see where it makes power. Get some strip time or a G-Tech if possible, that will help if you have numbers to back up the changes you make in shift rpm

·
Registered
283 Posts
Till it runs out of power, throws a rod or floats the valves. The cam card is a good fairly safe starting point though.

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model
69 Chevelle coupe
71 SS Camaro
75 L-82 Corvette
71 Gremlin X
Kerrville,Tx.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just another note on this subject: It's not high horsepower than blows up engines it's high rpm.

------------------
Bob (Creedmoor,N.C.)
65 Vette B&M Blown, Richmond 5-speed
68 Malibu B&M Blown, Turbo 350 10" converter

·
Registered
326 Posts
I think Hunter is confused from all of us. He said he had a 350 with a mild cam, not a NASCAR SB2. And not a circle track motor.

The reason I said what I said before is because that I know your motor isn't a race motor. Chances are you wont make much power above 6500. I never said spin it to 8 grand. That is unreasonable. And a fairly well put together small block should hold together to 6000 (unless you got some truck motor that revs to 4) but I doubt you will find much usuable power any higher than 6000.

I shifted my 327. mild cam, dual plane, 4bbl, headers etc etc. at 5800, I did the method I mentioned above when I first got the car, then when I had it dynoed that is where the dyno showed it I should shift it. Worked for me.

[This message has been edited by David Nafarrete (edited 09-01-99).]

·
Registered
336 Posts
I wouldnt go above 5500 or even 5200 or so unless you built the motor and are DAMN sure it can hold up.. Even with a 327 which by design tend to make power at higher rpm than longer stroked motors like 350, i get scared anywhere over 5000 rpm under load... in neutral i'll open it up to 6000 or so on occasion... but even then Im praying on the inside (but smiling on the outside)

------------------

Mike Reeh
Gold #34
San Diego, CA

1 - 11 of 11 Posts