Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is a 71 and has an axle code CKD which is a 2.73 open from 1970 according to chevellestuff.

CKD is not listed as a choice in 71.

So is it possible that its original in my early build 71?

·
Registered
8,484 Posts
How early is early. Am I am going to say no

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
My car is a 71 and has an axle code CKD which is a 2.73 open from 1970 according to chevellestuff.

CKD is not listed as a choice in 71.

So is it possible that its original in my early build 71?
I don't know about the code number but a 2.73 ratio was an option in '71 - I used to own an El Camino so equipped. Also, I know that it was also available in '72 as a relative bought one new with a 2.73 and posi and I later set it up with an aftermarket 4.10 and I had to acquire a 3-series posi unit to install the gears.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How early is early. Am I am going to say no
It a January car, so i guess thats actually a few months into the year.
I didnt think GM put previous year rears into a new car... but this is the place to ask.

Thx

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know about the code number but a 2.73 ratio was an option in '71 - I used to own an El Camino so equipped. Also, I know that it was also available in '72 as a relative bought one new with a 2.73 and posi and I later set it up with an aftermarket 4.10 and I had to acquire a 3-series posi unit to install the gears.
Yes 2.73 was an option in 71, but not with the CKD axle code. So someone must have put a 70 rear axle in my car sometime ago. Its all good, the car is a tribute anyway, just learning about it is fun.

Reactions: MikeN

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have a 64 C10 truck, owned it since 1996, and I would have sworn it was all original. I would also have sworn all 63-66 C10 rear axle assemblies were the same. I found out recently while replacing axles that the splines changed from 17 in 1964 to 30 for 65-66, and that the location on the housing to mount the panhard bar moved three times over the years. The 30 spline axles and panhard bar location proved that somewhere over the years, a 65 third member had been swapped into my truck. The dead giveaway was that the panhard bar on my truck had been heated and bent slightly to make it shorter so it would fit the 65 housing. No one was concerned about maintaining originality back in the day.

·
Registered
8,484 Posts
It a January car, so i guess thats actually a few months into the year.
I didnt think GM put previous year rears into a new car... but this is the place to ask.

Thx
that is five months into production, yeah its been replaced

1 - 8 of 8 Posts