Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1970 chevelle. I started getting ready to pull the smokey 350 out to replace it with a 396. After pulling the alternator and cleaning off some grease I discovered that it had the original matching motor to the car. Even better news was the suffix number, CRE which notes a 300HP motor. Now i'm torn between building the original motor and leaving it stock or going big block and cloning an SS. The car also has a 12 bolt, PS and disc brakes. It currently has a ss hood, ss rear bumper,ss grille emblem and ss interior emblems. Whats worth more the car stock or cloned an SS

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'd say go ahead and make it an SS clone. If you decide to sell it just be sure you tell the perspective buyers it is a clone. We buy and sell alot of chevelles, and a nice clone will bring double what a malibu will.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Yep, even though the 300hp 350 is a neat engine to have in your Chevelle, it will always bring more money if you clone it into an SS. That's not to say that you should, though ;) My 70 ragtop has the 300hp 350 along with some other neat options, and as long as I own it the car will stay a Malibu even though as a cloned SS rag it would bring nearly twice what its worth.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
What is so great about cloning a Malibu? I can see making a good, healthy running big block or even a small block and putting it into a car. Making the car run real good is one thing. But what is the point of putting all the badges and things from a Super Sport on it?

·
Registered
862 Posts
if you want a hot rod that is nice build one out of junk. but if you have a nice chevelle clone it. to make it worth more, how often can you play and get your money back. not cloning it would be foolish unless it has sentimental value. jmo

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I disagree (even though from a money standpoint you're all probably right). I say, if you want to make an SS clone, start with a car that is already NOT a numbers matching car. There are SO FEW number matching cars around. I say restore it all stock, pick up a Malibu roller and make a BBC clone SS. It's easy for me to say this because it's someone else's money (sorry).

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I vote for keeping it stock !!! rebuild it change what you want ... swaybars larger brakes.. but keep the running gear togather... there are more S.S. clones running around then Chevy ever made !!! how many malibu's you seen lately ??

my 2 cts :D

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I'm with keeping it original with your 350 since you have a numbers matching car. There are less and less numbers cars out there of any type. Be a shame not to keep it all together and right. If anything at all you swap to a BB keep the original engine and don't part it from the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts