Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the posts to find suggestions for a fastener kit. I reviewed the AMK kit that was suggested. Looks pretty complete and fairly priced. I also looked at others to see what's out there and the differences.

I came across several sets from several suppliers including a stainless set on the Paddok parts website ( https://www.paddockparts.com/Paddoc...ners&mscssid=21DB2D63C34C404FBE2C11B9AC4ABB2B )

Ok, now I am confused.

I'm doing a frame off resto-mod. After all that work and money, the last thing I'd want to see are rusty bolts 6 - 12 months after it's done, but do I really need to fork over 2-3X as much for a stainless set?

What's your experience?

Which sets are the best?

Which sets have you used and why?

Are the sets from Yr 1, or others different that the AMK kits?

Now that your car is done and has a few years on it, would you say you're 100% satisfied with the kit you bought?

If not why and if you could do it over again would you have stepped up to a more expensive set?

Besides the bolt/fastner kits, what other kits do you have to buy to get the brakes/fuel line brackets, etc.

Last but not least, I think I threw away the rear pinion snubber bracket. Does anyone know if it's available aftermarket? (Doesn't seem to be, but I thought I'd ask).

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
5,539 Posts
OK, here's my take....

The stainless set would be very nice, as you wouldn't have to worry about rust issues. Most of the bolts in the kits offered by AMK have a plating of some kind on them. Given that you live in GA, weather shouldn't be much of an issue.

If you use a kit from AMK, you could also touch up the bolts with a product called Boeshield. www.boeshield.com

Alot of vendors ( like Ground Up ) use AMK as a supplier, so when they're advertising correct hardware, that is probably where they got it.

If you're after a 100% correct appearance, I'd lean towards the AMK stuff. My feeling is that some of the stainless stuff will be close, but not 100% correct. I purchased a couple of items from Totally Stainless ( tranny pan bolts, 12 bolt bolts ) and at first glance, they look correct, but you know they aren't upon closer exam.. Not a big deal, as they look great. If you check my sig, you can see the rear end bolts in my showroom.

I have also bought everything else from AMK and am very pleased with the product, however living in a different climate than yourself, I'll be coating with Boeshield for extra insurance, since the finishes may getting marred during install, despite my carefulness.

Check the costs closely, as I believe a master kit from AMK that covers around 90% of what you'll need will not be cheap.

I'd by the AMK stuff again, as I wouldn't think I'll be dealing with major rust issues since my car will never see bad weather again.

As for your pinion snubber bracket, you'll have to find a used one.

·
Premium Member
3,900 Posts
Fred, I do as Dan suggested with the AMK sets and Boeshield. Call AMK and talk with them before you order because not everything on their web site is correct, they will save you some money by working on your specific needs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts