Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a master cylinder from Danchuk, and when I received it realized it was physically shaped different than the existing cylinder on my '70 SS. I'll be sending it back.

Do you folks know of any companies that sell original style (shaped) master cylinders?

------------------
"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly. I said I don't know."
-Mark Twain

Sean Thomas
TC #907
ACES #4468
1970 SS 396 L34

·
Registered
714 Posts
Sean,

oops ...I must have been sleepy as I originally read your posting as related to the power brake booster not the master cylinder so I had to erase my original reply...duh...sorry I did check my Ground Up Restoration catalog and they say they carry OEM Bendix (FMP-1970) exact configuration (without bleeder screws) for 69.95 and Original (with correct bleeder screws) units (FMP070) for 70's but you have to call for availability/price it seems...just says "Call" in that column. The ones for 67,68,69 are $199.95....ouch.

Hope this helps some.

Mytmouse

------------------
67 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi Butternut Yellow w/Black Vinyl
68 RS Z/28 302 350+Hp? 4sp 4:10 Posi, Euro Red on Black
70 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi, Black on Black

Mytmouse A.K.A. Robert Stacho
ACES Member # 04359

[This message has been edited by Mytmouse (edited 03-29-2001).]

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked at the Ground Up catalog and there's some confusion on my part as to which master cylinder is correct. The car (70 Chevelle SS 396 with front disc) has the two equal sized 'round' style master cylinder chambers. I ordered a replacement and received the small front, and larger rear, 'square' style master cylinder. The ground up resto catalog is not very clear on exactly which style is the correct one for my vehicle. Could anyone out there with a 'correct' braking system enlighten me?

Thanks

------------------
-Mark Twain

Sean Thomas
TC #907
ACES #4468
1970 SS 396 L34

·
Gold Founding Member
1970 Chevelle Convertible & 1965 Chevelle SS Convertible
1,284 Posts
Sean,

I have seen the 70 with both types, mine is the original one to my car with the bleeder screws,larger bowl in the back, smaller in the front, or the other way around - I don't remember now - I have to look at it. (memory is going) Either way I know one bowl is larger then the other. I had it resleeved and powder coated. The one Ground Up has looks like mine but without the screws.

You can just about make it out in this pic;
http://my70ss.homestead.com/files/Engine_driver.JPG

Hope this helps.

Rich

------------------
70 SS - L34
Member # 442
www.chevelles.com/showroom/richr1

http://www.my70ss.com

[This message has been edited by richr (edited 03-30-2001).]

[This message has been edited by richr (edited 03-30-2001).]

·
Registered
446 Posts
I did the same as Rich and had mine rebuilt. I'm not sure it really needed it but just to be on the safe side. After spending what it costs to restore a car I'm sorta set on stopping.

Now if yours is just to far gone to restore or cosmetically to far gone there are advertisers in hemmings that sell original ones. There is also a member of this board that has 3 or 4 of them, maybe he would sell you one. If I remember, it was Luis, from New York I think. Do a search under master cylinders and you should find his post.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I can tell you the 1969 B/B cars got a Dual bail clip master cylinder.The 1970 Cars got a Squared single bail clip master cylinder with bleeder screws.1971 and up cars got the same master cylinder design they used in 1970,only without bleeder screws.There are Delco replacements that are not they Exact style,which sounds like what you were sold.Becareful of People taking a 1971 Master cylinder and Drilling the holes in them to fit Bleeder screws and claiming them as REAL 1970.They don't function.
Click on my webpage to see my engine Compartment and the original Master Cylinder.
I have a good used original 1970 Master Cylinder and proportioning Valve for sale if you are interested.Taken off a car in 1985.Dated April 22nd of 1970.

------------------
Rick Peters
NCOA#1670-ACES#175
1970...ON THE MOVE

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Danchuk sold me the wrong master cylinder, then. I've got the rounded body, equal sized reservoir, with dual clips on there, currently. The one they sent me was a square body, different sized reservoir (smaller in the rear/larger up front), with dual clips.

------------------
-Mark Twain

Sean Thomas
TC #907
ACES #4468
1970 SS 396 L34

·
Registered
237 Posts
If you aren't interested in originality, go to any auto parts store and get a replacement. Much less costly than the catalogs. I paid $35 for a new one.

If you want original, do as the guys have said, rebuild yours or buy a nice core rebuild it.

Like you, I never get what I wanted or what I thought I was buying when I order something from the catalogs. Never!

·
Gold Founding Member
64,452 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gorbe:
I've got the rounded body, equal sized reservoir, with dual clips on there, currently. The one they sent me was a square body, different sized reservoir (smaller in the rear/larger up front), with dual clips.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've got the same one on my 69
I bought one from a local parts house but it's been a few years ago now

They pulled the other one at first (the one you got) which is what their book called for but when they matched up my old one, they told me the book said it was for a Corvette

------------------
Dean Call
Team Gold member #3
A.C.E.S. # 00235
Mid America Chevelle Club #001
chevelles.net
My 69

ACES/Midwest Chevelle Regionals

Don't point a finger - lend a hand

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.