Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advice on best way to prep master cylinder. Should I have the cylinder bead blasted or should I clean with Gunk and power wash prior to painting?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Personal I don't rebuild master cyclinders, if that's what you asking. Go buy a new or rebuilt one. I paid about $30 for a Raybestos rebuilt from Pep Boys. Remember they don't rebuild them they just sell them.
Patrick.

------------------

·
Registered
13,320 Posts
If, and only if, you have the original master cylinder for your car and want to keep it, then you will need to rebuild it. It's really quite an easy task to perform. After disassembly, thoroughly bead blast the exterior and try to avoid blasting any of the interior. The cylinder will need to be thoroughly honed before installing a kit. Most people hone brake cylinders with the cylinder held in a vise and use brake fluid as a lubricant. I have a large utility sink (you can use a 5gal bucket) which I fill with water and I use a cylinder hone in an AIR POWERED drill (please don't do this with an elec drill) .This method will hone a brake cylinder much, much better (and your hone stones last much longer). I use the hottest water I can stand to put my hands in and immediately blow it dry to keep surface rust to a minimum. Then a light wipe with WD-40 (outside ONLY).
Now, if your cylinder is pitted so bad that the hone will not remove the pits, then you will have to send it out to one of the companies that sleeves brake cylinders.
If you don't need to keep your existing brake cylinder, then buy a NEW one, not a rebuilt one. The price difference is minimal.

------------------

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think what you're asking is how to prep before painting. Even a new one from Pep Boys should be painted right. I took mine and degreased and stripped it with paint stripper followed by dish soap. Then I painted it with semi gloss POR 15. It is rock hard and brake fluid won't dissolve it like it will paint. Looks great and durable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.