Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone running this set up? They covered the installation in the new issue of CHP(May issue). It looks really cool, easy to install and will except up grades later on. If I ever get to putting the 496 together, would this be a good choice?
http://www.mass-floefi.com/index.html

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I've never used it, so I won't comment on it. I will say some of their claims against other EFI systems is BS.

I'd rather someones "marketing" be more factual than bashing competitors with half-truths.

That guy posted on a website I moderate and lets just say he didn't feel like answering any questions. He felt he was being "attacked" which wasn't the case. He had a very sharp person there asking questions about his system and he didn't respond.

I will say, that for any high performance engine (or any engine for me), I would only run a system that has a wideband O2 sensor and that allows for me to tune varying points of the engine to any desired A/F ratio in an easy manner.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Do a search on here, we discussed it before.

Summary: It's a Ford EEC-IV ECU with a GM MAF and a translator box so the GM MAF can interface with the EEC-IV.

The EEC-IV is a good system but don't buy into MassFlo's hype of "needs no tuning!"

It might not need any tuning to run OK, but it will need tuning for your specific application if you want everything RIGHT.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I can see I need to do a lot more research before making my choice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have one I bought a year ago. It has some drawbacks. The harness is made apparently for a Ford. Leads are for the location of ford sensors not chevrolet. I had to cut and chop several wires in order to fit. The instuctions are minimal. For instance to set timing- set the timing to my car's spec's This is really stupid. Finally after e-mailing him he told me the ECM just has a 14º advance built in, this would seem to be information you would want in the instructions, so I set my initial timing to give me 32 total. The idle doesn't work very well. I have tried to tweak it several times. It still idles flakey. Otherwise it seams to work OK.

There is no way to scan the computer for trouble codes or problems. All you get is a blinking lite. This is so 80's.

I couldn't recommend the system. I like my Edlebrock Pro-flo on my other chevelle so much better. Runs really nice, tweakable, easier to install and almost brain dead simple to tune.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I will also give a thumbs up for the Pro Flo. Had mine for 7 years now and over 90,000 miles and not a single problem other than my own stupidity. I manged to break off two injectors crawling around trying to get to the top tranny bolts. The other day I had was screwing around with the wiring and when I cranked it back up it ran like total crap. Hunted all around and couldn't figure out what I had done. Looked at the contol box that comes with the Pro Flo and it told me my vacuum was 0. Checked the MAP sensor and saw I had knocked the hose off. Proven by and idiot to be idiot proof.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.