Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the big fan and am using a thermo-stat control and a 45 amp relay to power up the fan. I found an interesting side benefit of the 6,000 cfm fan. It makes the A/C work great!!!! I want the fan to come on with the A/C compressor. I assume I need another relay. How do I wire the second relay in?

------------------
Triple Black 69 SS 396
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1233564&a=9105086&p=37274567&f=0

·
Registered
105 Posts

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've done something similar to your drawing (thanks btw) and the temp switch b ack feeds the A/C compressor and turns it on when the temp goes high enough to turn on the fan. I don't like that. That means my compressor is on when I don't want it on. That's why I'm wondering if I need a relay between the compressor and the first relay.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Yes, a diode is the electrical equivalent of a "check valve".

As an alternative, have your secondary relay's coil energized by the A/C compressor and switch the ground side of the fan with both relays. You won't "back-feed" through the ground side.

In other words, the power is connected directly to the fan's + terminal through a fuse at all times, but the ground is switched through the relays. The thermostatic switch controls one relay and the A/C compressor controls the other.

If you have any further questions about wiring it this way, shoot me an e-mail. I'll be able to get to it sometime on Wednesday.

------------------
My Elky Page (updated 5-15-01)
"Think for yourself. Don't let popular opinion make your decisions for you."
Chad Landry
TC Member #643
ACES Member #04556
'68 El Camino

1 - 6 of 6 Posts