Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my new Mark VIII electric cooling fan on Thursday morning. The fan is huge. Temperature was 81 degrees here and I drove the car until it heated up to 190 before switching the new fan on. It cooled it down fast!

Before the engine always ran just above the thermostat's opening point. The new fan will actually cool the radiator to the point that the 'stat will open and close while driving!

It's unfortunate that I didn't know about these fans last summer when I made the fiberglass shroud for the 16" electric fan (Click on my website link below to see what I'm talking about).

This fan is quieter than my previous fan, draws about the same amount of current, and flows much more air.

I highly recommend this fan. For $99 it can't be beat. I'm actually looking forward to testing it in the summer heat. (Am I insane?)

------------------
My Elky Page Updated 7-21-00
"Think for yourself. Don't let popular opinion make your decisions for you."
Chad Landry
TC Member #643
'68 El Camino

·
Gold Founding Member
5,827 Posts
Where did you get the fan? Is it a pusher or puller? What are the dimensions? Sorry for so many questions but this sounds like just what I need.
Ron

------------------
70 Chevelle SS396
66 Nova SS 327
95 Z28 Convertible.
Aces 3081, TC #54 Gold

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Chad, Welcome to the even darker side of the force. All you need is a B/B motor and you can become "one with the force"

The fan is a puller. IT needs to be slightly altered to fit between the radiator and a B/B motor.

Chad, can you post your pictures as well as mine on the internet?? I had some one do this a while back.. but it was only temporary. Also, have you put an Ammeter in series with it yet to see what kinda current it draws? I've been meaning to do so, just to damn lazy I guess

------------------
BB414, TH400, 3.73 posi,
13.1sec @ 105 MPH (TH400 needs clutch pack, Radial T/As = zero traction)
"I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end " J.T.
Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

·
Registered
93 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BB_Mike:
IT needs to be slightly altered to fit between the radiator and a B/B motor.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike.....how so, I was considering this fan for my '71/502(the one that I can't get the brake booster nut off of). Is it really close to the water pump pulley or something. I wish you could post a picture.

Mike

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it at Houston Performance (Be careful though if you have a weak stomach... it's a Mustang joint)
. They don't show the fan on their website (at least I couldn't find it), but just call and ask. I know it's not an "800" number, but you won't regret spending a few cents on a call. I've heard that they're not very prompt about e-mails.

I'll get the dimensions and pics posted as soon as I can. Probably in the next day or two.

I have plenty of clearance for mine, but I trimmed about ½" off the shroud to get it to tuck under the upper rad support. Made a couple of brackets out of .125" Aluminum that bolt to the two end holes of the upper rad support (where the original shroud bolts on.

The bottom of it protrudes slightly beyond the lower rad support, which gives it a slight slant. I ran a piece of split 1/4" fuel line around the perimeter of the shroud and tie wrapped the bottom of the shroud to the lower support. It's not a perfect seal between the rad and shroud, but it pulls so much air that it doesn't have to be.

No current readings, but voltmeter drops a little less than 1 volt at cruising speed. About 1½ Volts at idle. The Perma Cool unit dropped it about .7 at cruise and about 1 volt at idle. I'm gonna order a high output conversion kit for my alternator to get it from 83 to 105 amps. I'd rather see less of a voltage drop.

------------------
Chad Landry
TC Member #643
'68 El Camino

[This message has been edited by cjlandry (edited 02-17-2001).]

·
Registered
738 Posts
Congrats on your fan install Chad. I've heard nothing but good about that set-up. I considered using one on the 502 but it turns out that I've got the wrong water pump. With a long water pump, there's no room.

Maybe you could help me...I've forgotten the dimensions on the fan but I remember at the time that it would not have fit between the radiator and water pump.
Maybe it could be positioned off to the side of the water pump but not sure. Would love to see those pics too. Thanks bro.

------------------
502 Rat Infested 1970 Malibu - Gold Member #39
Keep America Beautiful - Drive A Brute Force Chevelle!
http://pages.about.com/wescolby/personal.html

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
738 Posts
Thanks Chad for linking those pics...if that's a small block motor with a long water pump, he's got an additional (maybe someone else knows the exact figure) .5" or 1.0" in room. Big block motors are slightly longer in length over small block motors.

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wes Colby:
Thanks Chad for linking those pics...if that's a small block motor with a long water pump, he's got an additional (maybe someone else knows the exact figure) .5" or 1.0" in room. Big block motors are slightly longer in length over small block motors.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wes, common man. those are MY pictures. Do you think I have this name because I like Red Rider BB guns??

It's a Big block motor with a long water pump. I robbed the pulleys from a late model GMC motor. I could not make this fan fit directly in front of the water pump. However, its width dimensions allow you to scoot it to one side. Plenty of room now
I had to remove about 1" of the units shroud to bring it closer to the radiator and make for easier instalation.

Chad, have you held you hand in front of the grill with the fan on? you can feel it pull air from in FRONT of the grill!

------------------
BB414, TH400, 3.73 posi,
13.1sec @ 105 MPH (TH400 needs clutch pack, Radial T/As = zero traction)
"I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end " J.T.
Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

·
Registered
738 Posts
Ehrrr, uhmmmm...sorry Mike.
Didn't mean to label you as a mouse man...my observation cap wasn't screwed on very tight.

How did you go about removing an inch of the fan shroud? Did that make the overall dimension 1" thinner or what? Trying to get a mental picture because if it can be done, I'd sure like to go with that single fan set-up. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Wes. I think your on the right track. When I got the fan it wouldn't fit, depth-wise. I then noticed that the actual blades of the fan are about 1" recessed behind the "front edge" the the shroud. Can you say un-nessecary? new ya could.

I took out the ol' carpenters square and scored a line about 3/4" in from the front edge. Had pops hold the fan while I took the Jig-Saw to it
. Came out just fine. Mates up against the radiator nicely and the fan blades clear the radiator by a good 1/4"
No holes yet.

It even retains the "Caution Fan" warning sticker

·
Registered
738 Posts
Thanks Mike, that makes sense. Have one more question for you...when you cut off 3/4" of material from the shroud did you also have to remove the 'mounting pads' too? Or were you able to use them? Can't really be sure from the pics. Could be an obvious answer, but is that why you're using the fabricated brackets to hold the fan in place? Just trying to get a clear picture of what might be involved...thanks bro.

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Wes, I wacked off those brackets that came molded into the fan. As for MY mounting hardware. Those two upper plates that you see where made from an old sign. Nut/bolted to top of fan shroud. Sheet metal screwed to top of radiator. The lower portion lined up some-what nicely with the chevelle's lower brace. I sent one sheet metal screw in from below and put a zip tie on the other side.

I did it quickly because I was in the middle of a B/B swap and custom gauge work. got it ALL done 1 week before college started back up.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
ok, can someone give me the dimensions, and also what thermostat and or kit did they use to install it, im about to order one but might as well get the other stuff too, and also im thinking of changing my alternator to a higher output, any recomendations??

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
Big Block Chevy.net
proud owner of this site

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
21¾" Wide, 18¾" Tall. I'm not sure of the exact depth as I've already cut about ½" off of mine and it's difficult to measure on the car without someone to hold the straight-edge for me. I'm reading somewhere between 5" and 6". Sorry I can't give a more precise measurement there.

Mine has a 30 amp relay operated by a manual rocker switch. You can get the 30 amp relay from radioshack.com for $2.99 (Cat. #980-0122), and the relay socket for $2.49 (Cat. #980-0124). They don't sell them in their stores, only mail order (though you may be able to get your local store to order it, I can't get mine to).

Perma-cool, among others, sells Thermostatic controllers separately in case you want one. They also sell the whole kit, complete with relays, but then you're paying $15-$20 for a $3 relay.

For my alternator upgrade I'm getting one of the Quick Start kits from Summit Racing, which upgrades output to 105 amps. I don't have my catalog handy, but I think it's $35. Much cheaper than buying a newly rebuilt 100 amp alternator.

I'll edit this and add a link to my pics once I'm finished uploading them..... Stay tuned....

The following links are big files (about 320K each), so be prepared if you're not on a high speed connection. I don't have an image editor installed on my computer right now.

(A friend compressed them for me, so now they're smaller. Thanks!)
http://www.geocities.com/chadjlandry/Images/chadsfan.jpg http://www.geocities.com/chadjlandry/Images/chadsfan2.jpg

Yeah, that's a jumper in the inline fuse holder. It's from when my old fan burned all my high current fuses. Haven't been to the parts store yet. Going as soon as I get off the computer. Anyone want to sweep my carport?

------------------
Chad Landry
TC Member #643
'68 El Camino

[This message has been edited by cjlandry (edited 02-20-2001).]

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One further note.

I was wrong about it not pulling much current. The fan definitely pulls a lot of current. It blew a 30 amp fuse in seconds. So I'm gonna have to run dual relays and double wiring. The 12 gauge wire is only a little warm after running it for 25 minutes this evening, but I prefer to be on the safe side. If the wires aren't cool, they're overloaded as far as I'm concerned.

------------------
Chad Landry
TC Member #643
'68 El Camino

·
Registered
738 Posts
Chad those pics turned out nice. Good idea on going heavier with the wiring - never can be too safe.

I've got a couple of questions for either you or Mike. Can you tell me exactly how many amps that puppy pulls AND how much air CFM it moves? I'll definitely have to upgrade my 63amp alternator or replace it altogether. Thanks as always.

Edit: hey never mind guys, found the info already.

[This message has been edited by Wes Colby (edited 02-20-2001).]

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Chad, you crazy lug. the fans on upside down! You don't remember seeing a red label that read "caution - FAN" do you? well it looks pretty good... pointing up

Also with the connector point down and to the pasenger side it makes for easy relay hiding and convient frame grounding. the shorter the wire the less the resistance correct? Mine has screw terminal 40Amp fuse bolted to the + batt post. 1' of 12 gauge wire to the fan. then about 4" of wire to the relay. Fianlly out of the realy to a sweet spot on the frame. This same sweet spot has a 5 gauge cable going to: the block, the battery - post , and the fire-wall.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
when i checked for room in my car i assumed i had pleanty, WRONG, i hardly have any room. so if im running a BB with long pump do i have enough room????

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
Big Block Chevy.net
proud owner of this site

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.