Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I bought one of the highly recommended Mark VIII fans. While at the shop I noticed the connector on the fan motor had 3 leads. The guy at the shop tells me that one is ground and the other 2 are for fan speed (high and low). When I got it home I just hooked it up to make sure everything worked before I started grinding and cutting on the fan housing. I hooked the ground lead and positive lead as they were marked on the connector (the two prongs on the outside). The fan fired right up no problems. When I hooked the + lead to the center terminal there was nothing. Is the center terminal actually a + lead or was the guy at the shop wrong. Or, do both + terminals need to be hooked up at the same time instead of just one or the other?

------------------
MY 67

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Going over past posts concerning this fan... it seems 99.9% of people on this website use the outside terminals only. (the ones actually marked "+" and "-"). The middle doesn't get messed with. I'd go that route personally, and wouldn't mess with the center terminal. Leave it disconnected.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Someone posted a link to a Mustang guys site a few days ago. The guy goes into some detail about the functions of the terminals and how the relays function on the stock application. It seems that one has something to do with whether the AC is on or not.

The site also has a schematic on how to make an inexpensive oxygen sensor.

------------------
My Elky Page (updated 5-1-01)
"Think for yourself. Don't let popular opinion make your decisions for you."
Chad Landry
TC Member #643
ACES Member #04556
'68 El Camino

·
Registered
10 Posts
According to the 1996 Mark VIII electrical schematic, the 3 pin connector at the fan has a Ground, a power feed from the Variable Load Control Module (which provides low or high speed) and a "dummy" wire that goes open/terminates in the harness. The VLCM duty cycles the power on the fan motor to provide different speeds. Give it 12v and let it go!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts