Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle SS 396 L-34 M-21
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just heard that the big blocks had oiling troubles because it got too much oil to the top end of the engine and not enough back to the pan and it would try to "suck the pan dry". He recommeded that I put restrictor valves and a high volume oil pump in to fix the problem but I will never see above 5000. Is all this necessary? I was also wondering how many rpm's is the bottom end good for? The same man said 6800. Its a cast iron crank. Thanks for all your help!!

------------------
Steve

1969 Chevelle SS 396 L-34

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, I can give you my experience with an L-34. My 402 has stock pan and a melling high vol. oil pump, steel crank. It has been running for 9 seasons since I put it together, without any problems. About 2500 mile per year. I have revved this to 5,800 with a stock bottom end with stock rod bolts, which are supposedly the weak link. To answer, I don't think its necessary. Hope this helps, John

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
You don't want oil restrictors on a street driven car. 5800 is fine for the stock bottom end. 6800 is different the rods and especially the bolts are about at their max and do break.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,687 Posts
If everything isn't right in the valvetrain, especially springs, the valves may tend to hit pistons at 6800. A high volume pump will make things worse as far as oil on the top end of the engine. They would suck the pan dry before a std volume pump would. You don't need or want a high volume pump for a mild street engine.

------------------
von '69 300 Dlx SS TC #15 ACES #1575
My '69 SS

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.