Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
Is it a Q-jet? If so, any clue what year?

------------------

·
Registered
67 Posts
Kiknss; As I understand it (I do a lot of boating) is that a marine carb is the same as far as workings go. The differences are the corrosive properties of the metal, a flame assrssor and the big $$$$$$$$$$$$.

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
If you are considering putting this on an early, non smog motor, then, without seeing exactly what you have, I would guess that it will make a good street carb. If you already have this carb in your posession, then bolt it on and see what happens.

------------------

·
Super Moderator
12,691 Posts
K,
The main differences in the marine carbs are:
1. The bowl vents are in a "J" shape so if the floats stick, they will dump the fuel directly down into the carburetor and not out the top, hopefully helping to prevent fires.
2. They usually have seals around the throttle shafts to prevent fuel leakage, and again fires which are obviously a no-no in an enclosed motor compartment.
Some of them also have a provision for a "puke" tube from the fuel pump. If the fuel pump diaphram ruptures, the fuel is dumped into the carb, stalling the motor and again hopefully preventing any fires.
Other than that, the marine Holleys are generally jetted a bit on the rich side due to the continuous high load conditions that the boat motors operate in. There are nothing that prevents them from being great car carbs.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmm ok. Here is its part number(I think)
L 9023. It is a spread bore carb... Thanks for all the info

·
Registered
755 Posts
I'm looking at the same situation. I have a guy wants to sell his barry grant marine carb (never used) for cheap. I sent BG tech's an email and waiting for response. I saw on a site for Holley sales saying "never use marine carb for street use" I wasn't sure if this was a sale tactic or what.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.