Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm in my last year of college, looking forward to a mechanical engineering degree in May. I'm taking a manufacturing class right now in which each of us designs a particular product and manufactures it on CNC lathes/mills in the machine shop. I am turning out two runs of shifter knobs, one to fit 64-7 shifters and another run to fit 68-72. I was planning on making the ball itself out of some type of aircraft-grade aluminum, and I'd include a set of shifter medallions (4, 5, and 6 speed patterns) that would thread into the top of the ball (to keep the OD guys happy
). These will be of unmatched quality since they are all CNC manufactured. Is anyone interested in purchasing one of these at the end of my semester? I'm planning to run off ~40 of them to recoup my material investment (stock ain't cheap!). Feel free to give me any input on design or your general interest. Thanks!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sign me up for a 68-72 (1 4speed medallion-can I buy also just a 5-speed medallion ?)

------------------

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Man I wish you were around last summer. You could've made up some adapters to fit stock handles onto pre 68 Muncies with Hurst shifters. I figured they were good for $50 a pop. Good luck in the project.

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah Gene, I remember that. It wouldn't be tough to machine a set of those. I actually had to re-machine part of the factory 4-speed shifter on my 66 GS last semester, and it was no big deal. Heat treating was a pain in the a$$, took like four hours on our little Cress oven and temper furnace in school. BLURAT, thanks for your interest, I'm sure I can include another medallion if you're interested. I'll keep you all updated! Anyone who wants one, email me! I have 10 or 15 guys at school who confirmed that they'd buy a knob, but most of those are going on foreign cars <cringe>. I think they'd look a lot better on an old GM car. I was planning on anodizing them, maybe leaving the medallion raw-finished? The advantage for those who pre-confirm an order with me is that they can choose the finish of the knob.

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah Gene, I was planning on making it a little bigger than stock. I really like the feel of the late model Z28 shifter balls, but I'll probably stay more conservative and make them slightly bigger than stock Chevelle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would be VERY interested in a know for my '69. Some of the potential logos/medalions you could consider are:
Super Sport
SS-396
SS-454
Chevelle

-eof-

------------------

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yes,I'll probably (can you powdercoat alum ?)color mine med.gloss white so a non polished alum finish would be cool.....

------------------

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.