Team Chevelle banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a Mallory Unilite today in my 67 Elky and have some questions. The instructions say that if you have a resistance wire going from the coil (+) to the ignition switch a separate ballast resistor is not required - just hook the red wire up to the coil. I have the braided resistance wire in the original loom but it's 34 years old. Mallory's instructions show that if a ballast resistor is required, its red wire and the ignition switch wire run through the resistor. Since the Elky does not have the external resistor, would it be a smart move to leave the original resistance wire attached to the coil and install a separate ballast resistor inline with the red Mallory wire to the coil (+)? If so, are all ballast resistors the same resistance, i.e., generic?

------------------
Dale McIntosh
TC Gold #92/ACES #1709
67SS & 67 Elky
Dale's Place
Team 67

[This message has been edited by Dale McIntosh (edited 12-04-2001).]

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
"The instructions say that if you have a resistance wire going from the coil (+) to the ignition switch a separate ballast resistor is not required"

"Since the Elky does not have the external resistor, would it be a smart move to leave the original resistance wire attached to the coil and install a separate ballast resistor inline with the red Mallory wire to the coil (+)? If so, are all ballast resistors the same resistance, i.e., generic?"

You need one or the other, resistance wire OR a ballast resistor. If you want to use a ballast resistor you need to remove the resistance wire and replace it with a "normal" copper wire. The cleanest way, if it concerns you, is to replace the resistance wire.

·
Premium Member
19,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John: That's kind of what I figured, one or the other. I think I'll leave the resistor wire in place for now - don't feel like tracking it through the loom.

Rocky: I don't know if the resistance wire is available separately or not. It may be through one of those Help! displays that seem to have all the little things you can never find

------------------
Dale McIntosh
TC Gold #92/ACES #1709
67SS & 67 Elky
Dale's Place
Team 67

·
Premium Member
28,512 Posts
My 70 SS454 has the original distributor with a Mallory Unilite conversion and no ballast resisitor.The original resistor wire is still hooked up.

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS396/M20/4.10 My 70 SS396
Engine pic
1970 Chevelle SS454My 70 SS454
1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible
1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass 350 Olds,TH350(daily driver)
Chris Corwel,TC Member 785

[This message has been edited by mr 4 speed (edited 12-04-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts