Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to test one of these? No spark from the coil. It works with the old dist. I think we tried it with the cap off and I was wondering if maybe that caused the eye not to work. I just thought about it this AM.
Thanks

------------------
The ongoing saga of the MALIBRUISER 70 SS fake
MALIBRUISER

G

·
The UniLite works just like points. The red wire is power, the brown wire is ground and the green wire is the trigger or points. If you connected it that way and it will not fire the car with your known good coil, I'm betting the LED is toast.

·
Gold Founding Member
10,971 Posts
There's a reason I call 'em "Unidark".

Magnetic Induction forever!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Just a thought, because it happened to me with the same setup and I ended up getting towed home: if there is a radio capacitor that is bolted to the coil bracket and connected to the coil, disconnect it and try to start the engine. If the capacitor is bad, it may be grounding out the coil. Let me know if it works.

------------------
65 Danube Blue 4 door wagon, 350/330hp crate with 700R4, Factory air, Factory am/fm stereo.

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
The reason a unilite goes bad is because too many people try and run 12 volts to it,you need to run a ballast resistor to knock the voltage down,and they will last forever,I have run 2 unilite conversions with no problems whatsoever,the unilite distributor that was in my car was just plain worn out,and I am currently running a brand new unilite distributor w/o vacuum advance,I have had good luck with these distributors and never had failure.If they fail,95% of the time,it was from incorrect installation,failure to read instructions.

------------------
Bob West
1972 Malibu 454+.030
350 turbo-3.73's
1.79 60 ft.
12.06 @ 112.89

·
Registered
79 Posts
I agree with Robert, I've been running one since '90 in the El Camino. It's a conversion and never had a problem. Although if it ever does go out I'm getting a magnetic trigger MSD.
As for the cap being off... you would almost have to have direct sunlight on the receive eye for that to be the problem. But try it with the cap on.

------------------
70 El Camino ET 11.32 @
117MPH http://chevelles.com/showroom/dans70elcamino.jpg
66 Malibu project http://chevelles.com/showroom/dans66Chevelle.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.