Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,(oops and gals). Ineed to know if anyone has any info or instruction sheets on a Mallory Unilite distributor (mechanical not vacum). I just bought a 1970 Elky that has one in it. I hooked up my timing light and dwell meter to time the engine and can't get the mark to show on the harmonic balancer. I dont know if the previous owner installed the distributor wrong or not. It's in a 350 motor with a four barrel carb. Do you change the timing by turning the dist. like on a points type dist.? Would like to get some info on this as this is the first time I have seen one of these. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Kit

------------------

·
Registered
246 Posts
I guess it can't be too bad if you can get the car to run huh? You can forget about dwell because these units are optically triggered (an LED mounted below the slotted rotor). Oh, static timing is adjusted by rotating the housing - just like the others.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Kevin is right (i had a 70 camino w/ mechanical Unilite also).. rotate distributor just like all the others.. as for the mark on the balancer.. you probably A) are too far advanced for the readout on your timing light and/or balancer.. or B) have a bad balancer where the outer ring has spun..

in the case of "A", get a timing light that has a vacuum advance knob (available at sears, $70, highly recommended) or get a degreed timing tape for your balancer which will have much more readout than the 12 or so degrees that the timing tab has..

for "B", get a new balancer
the old one is junk and is a risk to your engine

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.