Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Testing my newly re-assembled 72 Chevelle SS in my business parking lot today, it came to a halt. After checking to see that my oil pressure safety switch was operating, I narrowed things down to "no fuel" as the carb bowls were empty. I have my Mallory Comp 110 electric fuel pump wired with a Bosch relay, but after un-hooking that and feeding a solid 12V directly to the pump.....nothing! This is a pump that has only been installed since Aug. 25th, worked flawlessly until today, never run dry, never run with the engine off. I know I'm able to return under warranty, but this shakes my confidence in Mallory pumps (my first). Anyone else ever have this happen?

Gregg Haskin
72 Chevelle SS
ZZ502 Crated RAT
Muncie M-20 4 Speed
Pictures of resto: www.wcvt.com/~ghaskin

[This message has been edited by riskyvt (edited 09-15-2001).]

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
My Comp 140 got a little whiny on me a while ago. about 2,500 miles of use. I posted about it and found that Wes Colby had his "go out" the spring loaded brushes had just worn out. He replaced them (about $5) and was back on the road. I also found out that having my pump above the loweest part of the tank (and often running less than 1/2 tank fo gas) was putting a lot of stress on the motor.

I too rebuild mine while I was in teh process of lowering it. Nothing major on the wear/tear side. It is now a bit quieter, but I did install bushings.

I now have <6k miles with the pump.

Could you have gotten some dirt in there?

Is the ground good?

Did it "loose prime"?

------------------
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, Merlin oval heads, 10.2:1CR, TH400, 3.73 posi,
1/8th: 8.2 @ 86.8mph
1/4: 12.7 @ 107.8mph (1.93 sixty foot)
--have pulled a 1.85 sixty foot (before street tires or course).
Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike-

This pump was installed using all the great advice from TC members. IE: mount below bottom of fuel supply, never run dry, good ground, etc...

I'm running a aluminum fuel cell that is plumbed to the fuel pump with Aeroquip lines and fittings. The problem is that the pump has siezed. I called Summit, and will be shipping the pump back to them under warranty for a replacement.

Thanks!

------------------
Gregg Haskin
72 Chevelle SS
ZZ502 Crated RAT
Muncie M-20 4 speed
TEAM CHEVELLE #726
ACES #4486
“What the heck are all these extra nuts & bolts for?”

Pictures of 72 Chevelle Resto: http://www.wcvt.com/~ghaskin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status