Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the last car show I was at I saw a real nice 69 Chevelle SS.I heard that the owner had done a total restoration and soon after someone ran a stop sign and smashed it up pretty good.He then found a malibu body and switched everything over, even the vin#'s Some people I talk to say that this can be done as long as you have a title to both cars.Is this legal?

·
Registered
777 Posts
I'm no lawyer, so I can only offer an opinion, and that is no. How would you feel if you spent good money on a nicely built SS, only to find out somehow later that it was simply a clone? Which in effect this is. Again, this is just one opinion.

------------------
Madness takes it's toll, please have exact change.

Fred
'70 Chevelle
http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/shop/9385/1970Chevelle.html

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
If that car is sold across a state line, something may hit the fan big time. I have brought a few vehicles into Arizona and they have what they call a level 2 inspection which compares the vin tag to the hidden numbers on the body and frame.I suspect that such an altered car would be impounded.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Sounds like 2 issues here.

1) Is it legal to take 2 cars and make it into 1.

2) Is it legal to move parts from an SS onto a Malibu and call it an SS.

As for #1, salvage yards that rebuild and sell cars do things like that all of the time. You would have to talk to your state DMV as to what the legal process is etc. I also believe they issue a salvage title for these type of cars.

As for #2, this has been beat to death in another post. In this case it sounds like they are rebuilding a real SS with parts from a malibu. We re-build our cars everyday with generic parts. Now, are they planning to re-stamp ( fake) the numbers ????

my $0.02

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
While I have nothing against a clone that is not claimed to be real, this seems a little shady. As my grandfather used to say " you can put a silk hat on a pig, but it remains a pig." Just my .02 cents worth,
kevin d

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Ok, consider this: Instead of moving the SS parts to the Malibu, what if the guy had just taken all the needed parts from the Malibu and moved them to the SS? Would this be the same? worse? better?

At what point do you go from just fixing a broken part to creating a clone? how much of the original vehicle should be there before it becomes something else? The frame? The shell? Just the numbers?

Let's say it's 1968 and you crack up your 67 SS L79. You replace the front clip and the frame. Is it still the same car, or is it now just a 67 Chevelle with a 396?

Not too sure what I think of it all, but it does make you think...

Kurt

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/6873/Chevelle/68_Chevelle_Info.html
Email: [email protected]
A.C.E.S. #1352

·
Registered
8 Posts
why not. alot of folks dont have the money or the luck to find a true SS. just be truthfull. No state that i know of will IMPOUND the car. A simple explination of th fact will ratify any problem that may occure with law enforcment. I say go for it. Anyone that tells you its not worth rebuilding from non SS stock is off their rocker. Like the prev guy, half the resto's out there use aftermarket parts, they are still SS's right.
My self i would rather see a clone of one of the great american muscle cars, instead of you spending your money on a everyone has one 4th gen camaro, or worse yet a cookie cutter import.
Just tell people the facts and they will admire your love of these great cars...

P.S. And if they go up for sale the legaly correct thing to to is tell the truth, its called full disclosure. One can be sued if the truth is not told.

(studied law before chemistry)

Later guys n gals lew.

------------------

[This message has been edited by lew (edited 05-12-99).]

·
Premium Member
6,903 Posts
You cannot legally move a VIN from one car to another. If you had done the same in Texas, you would then apply for a state issued VIN. The trooper inspects the car, the documentation, then they affix a little sticker to the door jamb with the state issued VIN. Talk about killing the resale value.

I unwittingly bought a Porsche that had been chopped in another state and recovered after the number on the windshield pillar had been cut off. Then I get stopped by the local constabulary and I get this lesson.

What the guy did was illegal and immoral.

------------------
See you at Chevell-abration!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think he was deceiving others. I like my Malibu
for what it is and plan on keeping it at that trim level. I like Chevelles period, don't care what they're called.
People ask me if all Malibu's are Chevelles and I don't know what the cutoff is.

------------------
Gary Davis
68 Malibu 327
ACES 3009

·
Registered
425 Posts
Kurt,
What about the new Malibu ??? I don't think it's a Chevelle is it ???

My wife saw a commercial for the new Malibu last night. She freaked out
. THAT's NOT A MALIBU !!! Well I guess it's called a Malibu but it isn't a Chevelle ( I hope )

Just being picky,

Bill

·
Registered
2,938 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
As a proud owner of a stock 70 Malibu I think they should have retired the name. The new Malibu is embarrassing to me as a classic Malibu owner, not to be confused with a Malibu classic
Of course one could argue that the Malibu of the 60's and 70's was just as much a family car as the Malibu of the 90's, just not as powerful. I don't care, it's mine and I love it, and I am not going to throw SS emblems on it to try and make it out to something it's not. I look at this way...I don't like my women all faked out with plastic faces and other parts, I like the real McCoy, don't try to pawn it off for something it's not.
Just my $.05

------------------

·
Registered
166 Posts
Guys - look at it this way:

You have a beautiful matching numbers Chevelle SS. You're cruising through down on a beautiful summer day when some bonehead housewife in a Toyota 4-Runner screams through a red light and broadsides you, bending the frame, foiling the body, everything. You HAD a numbers matching SS, but now what do you have? What do you do with the remains? Are you telling me that by taking a stock Malibu and putting the SS drivetrain, suspension, interior, etc into the Malibu is wrong? You're saving a ****ing numbers matching SS! What else are you gonna do? Part the thing out? Put yourself in this situation, and your opinion will change real fast.

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Columbia University
New York, NY.
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: chevelle.dhs.org
ICQ UIN: 3923441

·
Registered
151 Posts
To: Havoc
That's what you are suppose to have insurance for. You won't enjoy the car if your in jail for switching VIN numbers. Check with your local DMV.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Havoc:

I agree with you and it seems to me that the difficulty some people have is in the wording:

To take an SS drivetrain and install it in a Malibu would be wrong and make it a clone.

To take an SS Drivetrain and use Malibu parts to complete the restoration would be ok.

I'm willing to be that there isn't a person on this site who would have refused a needed fender simply because it didn't come from the correct trim option Chevelle.

For my own purposes, it's the drivetrain which makes the car. A body is just a shell around the correct drivetrain. I sure didn't take the time to find an original 300 Deluxe in order to replace my floors, and I still feel it's a true 300 Deluxe.

Of course, this is just my opinion, and no doubt others feel differently.

------------------
A.C.E.S. #1352

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
So by this reasoning, what really makes a numbers matching car is a VIN tag and an engine/tranny to match it. Slap them into anything you want...it doesn't matter. While your at it, stick a "00000" odometer in it too, giving it an authentic "0" miles. Only stands to reason.

I can see it now in the parts section: "70 LS-6 engine with matching VIN tag $25000...you supply the car."

Regarding impounding cars: a friend of mine had a Harley that he had not registered for 10 years or so ( he did have it registered prior that). When he went to get it registered again, the vin on the engine came back as a non-existant VIN, plus the font that it was stamped with was not a Harley font. Although they could not prove that the engine was stolen, he could not prove that it wasn't. They impounded the bike. This was a bike that had been titled and registered in this state (AZ) in his name. They did let him take everything off of it that he put on it, but he never got it back.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Ok Gene, for the sake of discussion, what do you do in this situation: (god forbid) your car is wrecked. You need new fenders, hood, roof, trunk lid, and rear 1/4's. New emblems, trim and window glass. The interior needs work and so does some of the engine. You get it all fixed back up and into great condition again.

Is it still an SS? If not, then what is it?

note: I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just wondering where the line gets drawn

Kurt

------------------
A.C.E.S. #1352

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.