Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malibu to SS dash swap complete!

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  rstoltz 
#1 ·
It's done! It was a 95% success. I've swapped my old malibu style dash with an SS dash from a yard. Looks great!

Where did the swap get touchy ? Well...

There is a mismatch between the stearing column turn signal wiring harness connector and the SS dash. Different # of connections. A couple of snips on the plastic on the connectors and it matched up fine. Works.

The front speakers that were in the corners now dont fit since the SS instrument cluster is bigger that the old Malibus. Not sure how to deal with this one other than buy a center speaker dashpad.

Fuel gauge don't work. (And I ain't pulling the dash again!). I'll just be sure the car is full whenever I drive it.

I have no gear selector indicator. I'll need to do the bucket seats and center console next to cure that.

A couple of light don't work. I though I was sure that the printed circuit stuff was in good shape but I guess not. There are ways around this...

The heating/vent controls on the malibu dash were manual cables. The SS used vacuum hoses. The malibu control cluster matched right up to the SS opening and replaced the SS controls fine.

It was a very delicate and slow job, but it fit just fine and the wiring harness connected up to everything.

If you have any questions about this swap, email me at ddoler@altavista.net. It wasn't too bad.

------------------
members.tripod.com/dfdolerjr

See less See more
#2 ·
what is this vacuum heater/vent controls on the SS dash vs. cable actuated on Malibu?

I have a 70SS the is a certifed SS by the build sheet, cowl tag, and GM of Canada. I have cable actuated heater/vent controls. I've never seen anything else in the oe service manuals.

Are you talking about another year than 70-72? please, I'm curious!

#3 ·
oh, I forgot...

About your non-functioning items. Did you get all your grounds cleaned up and properly reconnected. 90% of the time this is the trouble with dash stuff. It also helps to do a test before bolting everything back into place. That way you'd know if the fuel gauge is good or if your ground is just bad.

#4 ·
What car did you do this dash swap in? Some of the stuff that you mentioned doesn't sound like a '70-72 dash swap. Also, I have a solid set of '68-72 buckets for sale ($200+shipping).

#5 ·
Ground...Hmmm, I'm running right home after work and will check. That makes sense. Thanks.

As for the years. Well the car is a 1970 Malibu (fake SS now). The dash year is unknown since it came with the car with a bunch of other parts.

The Heater control on the dash had a small circular air control valve with about 5 hose connections. I suppose it could be from a 71 but I don't know. The connections to the existing controls are are manual cables. Fortunately the control itself is the same size as the vacuum one and it screwed right in!

The only strange thing was the connection to the steering column. The flat connector was different which could explain the year difference possibility. However, the wiring connections we identical.

As the the seats from hugh, I have a local source. If they are crappy, I'll give you a shout in mid-june. Thanks

------------------
members.tripod.com/dfdolerjr

#7 ·
The wiring harnesses for a 70 is different from 71, and 72. The instrument cluster is basically the same, except for the background lettering. I believe the 70 is white, and the 71/72 is a greenish background. Different engine options would have different redlines. (don't know the breakdown)

Yes, the grounds are key for allot of what is not working. The lights could be burnt out to. Also the wiring harness on the engine side will not have all the needed connections for the gauges. These will all need to be run separately unless that wiring harness is changed as well.

#8 ·
Jason has the gauge lettering backwards. The 70 dash lettering is light green, and the 71-72 lettering is white. So, if you have light green its a 70. If the dash has a fasten seat belt light (by the cig lighter) is a 72. Otherwise its a 71.

I agree that grounds are most likely your problem. Did you paint the metal supports behine the dash. I did. Don't do that. That messes up the grounds.

Good Luck,
Jim

[This message has been edited by jimmy (edited 05-25-99).]

#9 ·
Those grounds can be a real pain when swapping dashes. I pulled the sweep dash from my 70 wagon and put in a 71 Monte Carlo tach dash (sans the woodgrain). When the job was complete, the windshield wipers would only work with the headlights turned off and turning on the headlights would make the temp gauge needle swing way over to the right. I fixed a couple of ground wires and the wiper problems disappeared. But now when I turn on the headlights, my temp reading goes up 25 degrees and my fuel gauge drop by 25 percent! I want to correct the problem, but the changing gauge readings make my wife overly cautious and she is reluctant to drive the car. Because I'm painting the car next month I think I leave that little gauge problem alone. ;)

------------------
Robert

www.classiccarlot.com (15% discount for my fellow Chevelle owners!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.