Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I performed a search and didn't get any hits on this one. Has anyone ever modified the front blinker circuit so the marker lights blink in sequence with the blinkers like on the new cars? I was thinking about doing the mod on my 68 Elco. Any thoughts on this one?

Tim

·
Registered
2,057 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
EDIT - Cecil beat me to it. Good luck with it.
------------------
Bob Von Kaenel
70 SS 53k orig miles

[This message has been edited by Barista (edited 05-21-2002).]

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Tim,
Sent you a .pdf file with a simpler method of doing what you want.
Bob

------------------
Bob Walton
MCC #386
ACES #3158
Team Chevelle Gold #221

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rascal:
Tim,
Sent you a .pdf file with a simpler method of doing what you want.
Bob

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We all might be interested...

------------------
Cecil Hawkins
San Diego, CA
1971 GMC Sprint
The Project
All I need is time...and some $$$
"Tourist, go home! And take someone with you!"

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Guys I tried, but I can't figure out how to post a file or diagram on this site. If anyone knows how, let me know.
Bob

------------------
Bob Walton
MCC #386
ACES #3158
Team Chevelle Gold #221

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Guys I tried, but I can't figure out how to post a file or diagram on this site. If anyone knows how, let me know.
Bob

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bob
If nobody answers you ask the guys over in bug hunt.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Done

------------------
Bob Walton
MCC #386
ACES #3158
Team Chevelle Gold #221

·
Gold Founding Member
63,016 Posts
Done
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And here it is

(if this works)

Thanks Bob

------------------
Dean Call
Team Gold member #3
A.C.E.S. # 00235
Mid America Chevelle Club #001
chevelles.net
My 69 SS

A child's life is like a piece of paper on which every person leaves a mark.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,016 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by supersport396_2000:
Why can't you just run a wire to the marker lamps on the side.In parallel it would be fine.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then the front turn signal filaments would be "on" any time the headlights or park lights are "on" unless you disconnected them from their original circuits in which case they would be off except when flashing with the turn signals

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
The park/turn-signal lights have two filaments. One filament for parking/running, the other, brighter filament for turn signal.

The side marker lights have only a single filament bulb which is on anytime the parking/running light filament is on.

Edit: I just looked at the simpler method to have the side markers flash. It looks like it will work. I'll try it when I hook up my side marker lights this weekend and let you guys know if it works or not. Thanks for the schematic, rascal.

------------------
My Web Page (updated 05-22-02)

"Chevellabration Bound!"

Chad Landry
TC Member #643
ACES Member #4556
'68 El Camino, 357, L31 Vortec heads, 700R4, 8.2 10-bolt, 3.55 gears, Auburn Pro Posi.

[This message has been edited by cjlandry (edited 05-25-2002).]

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
OK I tried it on my 70.

Rascal I apologize

It does in fact work as described.

What I failed to take into consideration is that the side marker light has significantly higher resistance (4.7 ohms) than the signal light (.7 ohms). For reason most of the voltage is across the side marker light.

disreguard this statement
Rascal

If wired as you suggest the side marker light and the park light will be in series with each other and parallel to the signal lights. Therefore the side marker and the park light will be on along with the signal lights (flashing) but will be dimmer. This by its self may not be considered a problem. The problem will be when the park or head lights are on and both L & R signal circuits are off the front signal lights and the dash signal indicating light will also be on. When the park or head lights are on and you try to use the either signal circuit it will not function correctly. I can’t say for sure but they will likely not flash at all. The bottom line is the proposed configuration will not function as desired.

[This message has been edited by Elree Colby (edited 05-27-2002).]

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I don't see a problem with powering the signal lights through the marker bulb. The signal lights are a lot less resistance than that marker bulb resistance so almost all of the voltage will be dropped across the marker.

When the ligthts are off though it could be a different story. I believe the front park circuit is seperate from the back. Therefore, the front parking lights and side marker light are the only ones in circuit and they are in series. The front parking lights would probably be fairly equal to the marker in resistance but there's 2 in parallel so make it 1/2. So, I think both parking lights at the front will see some voltage. It's probably not quite enough to light them though. But, the marker wouldn't be quite at full voltage either.

We'll have to see what Chad finds.

Peter

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
It looks like an alternating parallel circuit. When turn signal energizes, it gets ground through the parking light filament. When parking light energizes, without turn signal energized, it gets ground through the turn signal filament.

Yes, it's a series circuit with the filament between the primary load and ground. But does it make both lights glow dimly, or does the "downstream" filament simply act as a resistor to ground?

One theory says it shouldn't work. Another says it should.

I'm confused, but I'm gonna hook up my side markers this weekend anyway, so I'll try it and give you the low-down on whether it really works or not. The worst thing that can happen is that it doesn't work, and I have to spend another five or ten minutes wiring it the original way.

------------------
My Web Page (updated 05-22-02)

"Chevellabration Bound!"

Chad Landry
TC Member #643
ACES Member #4556
'68 El Camino, 357, L31 Vortec heads, 700R4, 8.2 10-bolt, 3.55 gears, Auburn Pro Posi.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I think the idea is to have the side markers flash alternate to the turn signals. If you have the turn signal on (you always use your turn signals, don't you?), then when the front/rear are on, the markers are off, when the front/rear are off, the sides are on. This is what I see on newer cars.

------------------
Cecil Hawkins
San Diego, CA
1971 GMC Sprint
The Project
All I need is time...and some $$$
"Tourist, go home! And take someone with you!"

·
Gold Founding Member
63,016 Posts
I believe they would alternate as you said if the simple series-parrallel circuit above is used

Right Chad ?

{edit}

After looking at the diagram again, now I think not

when the parking lights are on the marker light is in series with the turn signal filament and when the turn signals are on the marker light is in series with the parking light filament

hmm, now what happens when they are both on ?

lets see now, there is power going to both sides of the marker light and NO ground so they would not come on

hey, that means they would not work with the head lights on, on cars that the parking lights are on anytime the head lights are on

now I'm really confused

[This message has been edited by Dean (edited 05-25-2002).]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts