Chevelles.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know or have a link to an instructional web site on how to do your own custom vinyl door panels? I saw a site a long time ago with very good pictures. I'm planning to do some fanncy designs. I'm doing a frame-off on my 66.

on another note, I have plans for an autobody rotissorie that cost about $200 to build if you can drill holes and weld. It's drawn in AUTOcad and converted to a PDF. I can e-mail them to anyone who wants them. or maybe some one can post them here if there are enough people that want them.

Thanks All,
Gman.

·
Super Moderator
990 Posts
Can you email me those plans? Thanks. I don't know of any websites on custom door panels but I have seen a few good books on it at Borders.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Gman,

Can you please e-mail me the drawings that you created for the rotissorie. I have Autocad 2000 at home, so a .dwg or .dxf file would be great. If the drawing file is over 1.5meg, it will be too big for my e-mail.

Thank you,
Kevin C

·
Registered
187 Posts
they covered a nice segment on a tv show called Trucks. they used fiber board sprayed it with contact cement. cut out designs in special foam glued it down to the foam then sprayed more contact cement and laid the vinyl. i did something similar with carpet and 1/4 inch plywood for my 86 firebird. came out preety good.. just make sure you use a good quality cement or it might start to peel.. good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
You can also try http://www.roddoors.com/ they offer many different styles of panels that can be made to work on a Chevelle. Most designs are for Street Rods but could be adapted for use in a Chevelle. I bought the flat stock and plan on trying my hand at making something different.

Kirby

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kevin and Jim, I sent you guys the plans. thanks all for the tips and info. I got the quote from the local steel guy for about $200 for the steel ($250 for it cut to length). I just bought a drill press and MIG welder so I will be putting this togeather soon.

·
Registered
999 Posts
If you could send the plans to me I would like to give that rotisorrie a shot, thanks

·
Registered
920 Posts
Jack,

Those look great! I'm getting into planning my '68's out. Any info you've got would be great!

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Sorry Guys...
I forgot all about this thread...Basically I used
a fairly THICK WATERPROOF BOARD type to make the bottom of the panels using the old door panel as a pattern. I reused the metal uppers of my old panel. The metal uppers are covered in vinyl which I basically glued on with a GOOD glue (for landau tops...Weldwood). The channelled part (center) I drew out on top of the fabric and sewed through 1\2 foam with a mesh backing. I then marked the layout on the CARDBOARD and sewed the channelled part to the panel board. I basically did the same thing to the bottom part but flipped it over and sewed it to the bottom of the center part so no raw edge and flipped it back upright glued it down and turned all the raw edges around the board under and sewed about 1\2" from the edge. This finishes out the edges, looks nice and assures the trim will not come loose from the door. I attached the upper metal part of the door panel to the board with alot of glue and 3 or 4 tiny screws. There's enough foam on the metal uppers that you cant feel the point of the screws.
One thing I did could not do however is reuse the original clips to hold the door panels on. I had to drill holes and uses stainless steel screws with trim rings. They look just fine though. The board I used won't warp like the originals. If you don't have acess to a sewing machine I'm sure most any upholstery shop could run the stitches for you and most likely will have this type of panel board. If your looking to make sculptured type panels, you can shaped your foam with an electric bread knife. Thats what I've always used
You can see my Trashed Seat had to be REPARED
Here's my vinylPACKAGE TRAY. You can see I chalked it off before sewing through the foam and tray board. I did the same thing with my DASH. Maybe overkill but my pad was cracked and it saved me 200 bucks for a new pad. This covers all that up..

I hope this makes some sense and can be of some help...I wish I had taken more pictures...I really didn't give it much thought at the time..

Thanks for the good words...
Makes it all worthwhile.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Wow, I really like what you have done with the interior of you chevelle. I have been thinking of doing something like that to mine, once I get to that point. Really nice job tho....

Is there anyway you can post more pictures of your dash pad tho...?

Thanks

Jack

1 - 15 of 15 Posts