Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...somewhere along the line I was lead to believe that going fast in a v8 was easy;now I'm realizing it takes more effort than I thought.

I chunked my 4 banger honda (no comment's please) in search of a mild daily driver mid 13 second musclecar,no luck, several dissapointments later I'm sitting here reading posts on 14 second this and thats on mild 350 with traction bars,gears, etc with 13 second aspirations ON SLICKS . That's the whole
thing I was trying to avoid on my honda ;
on streets all motor it would turn low 14's
yes for real
13 slicks . UURRRGGHH!!!!

I haven't finished my chevelle but please tell me if what might make this setup run 13's on street tires (not cheaters either)

65 chevelle :no rear seat, fiberglass hood,

350 with "186" heads 2.02/1.60 valves
9.5:1 comp 278 crane cam
1 5/8 headers dual plane weiand intake
330+ HP

St10 with 12 bolt posi 3.73
no hop bars ,subframe connectors, and air bags

sorry for the venting but I've been wanting
to fast for a long time

·
Gold Founding Member
1,347 Posts
What do you have for a tranny if auto what converter. What do you mean by subframe connectors ?

------------------
Mike A Gold Member 266
69SS 396
Everett Mass

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
I was going to mention putting my 56 Vette on the strip in BENCH RACING, but I'll do it here. Just to see how it would run, I put a 4.88 gear in the 56 and made 6 passes Fri night (I realize the 56 is a lot lighter than a 65 Chevelle).
Here is what it has and how it was setup:
2900lb car
SB406-Rochester FI
2.20 Muncie-4.88rear
General 225/78/15 radials/7in wheels
My best run-let the air out of the rear tires down to 15psi, left in SECOND gear (1st just lit up the street tires), 13.77sec/101.37mph.
Obviously with slicks, headers and a good automatic it would probably hit low 13s/hi 12s.

And yes guys, I know I'm a diehard 4sp person, but I also live in the real world and the real fast, consistant cars have automatics.

So, xllr8, there is an idea of what it takes to run in the 13s.

And by the way, one of my 6 runs was against a Honda Civic hatchback. He left immediately, got way out there and I was really embarassed. But guess what, when that Chevy finally got it's head out of it's a#$, we blew the Honda away. When I got back to the pits, my wife said everyone cheered when my light came on. Even though it took a few passes to get the 56 to sort of work, I only lost 1 of 6 passes. It was to a 12.6sec 68 Camaro.

------------------
Tom Parsons

[This message has been edited by DZAUTO (edited 09-19-99).]

·
Registered
45 Posts
Good point, It's depressing. Now they have these fancy LS1 cars doing low 13s high 12s. It would be nice if someone had a 11 second recepie for a 383 or 355 cubic inch engine that didn't involve a .600 lift 300 degree at .050 cam. It seems like the best heads out there are AFR, and it seems like all stock heads really suck.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
2 words BIG BLOCK. add some cubes under the hood a nice 454 will put you in you seat.

------------------
Hot66ss
Los Angeles,CA

66 Super Sport
67 Malibu
Aces Member 2380
Team Chevelle member #262
members.aol.com/chvellss

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
2 words BIG BLOCK. add some cubes under the hood a nice 454 will put you in you seat.

------------------
Hot66ss
Los Angeles,CA

66 Super Sport
67 Malibu
Aces Member 2380
Team Chevelle member #262
members.aol.com/chvellss

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.